Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you having problems with your carburetors? Are they overflowing fuel and filling your crankcase with fuel? Do you need a complete Viton seal kit for a very low price? Read this thread. It will help guide you to the parts you need to rebuild those Mikuni carburetors the right way.

I recently finished rebuilding a set of 1993 GSX-R 750 carburetors for a forum member.

Original hardware replaced with Allen heads. Note the lengths of these bolts in final photos on the vacuum caps are too long. Ignore this. When I finished the tips were flush and had lock rings and washers. I forgot to take a photo of this.

All parts were thoroughly cleaned and restored.

Setup was with factory OEM specs and jet sizes.
New float needles and seats.
New gaskets and seals throughout.

Brass plugs drilled out and mixture screws restored.

Throttle plate shaft seals replaced. OEM throttle plate screws were hand filed and removed. Upon reinstallation the new throttle plate screws were installed with red thread lock and then peened on the opposite end with a hammer and "chisel-like" tool.

Floats were set at 15mm. Mixture screws at 2.75

Finally, the carbs were bench synchronized before shipping them out.

VOILA! This is how you properly restore a set of Mikuni carbs inside and out!!!! I did the same thing with the carbs on my bike, but I didn't post this many detailed photos.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Very nice work...

Are those Viton seals?

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and have a spiffy new ultrasonic cleaner courtesy of the jolly fat man in red that is begging for work.
Yeah, TJS said he's getting one of those also.

Please post some before and after pics of the carbs in the ultrasonic cleaner. I'm curious how the outcome compares to a normal carb cleaner bath.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Son of a bitch....They did have srad kits.........Last time I looked. I didn't find them....:Cheers for reposting it.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Yeah, TJS said he's getting one of those also.

Please post some before and after pics of the carbs in the ultrasonic cleaner. I'm curious how the outcome compares to a normal carb cleaner bath.
I tried to split the $400 cost with a friend that does bikes froom the 60's....he is a No! So, I need something that fits a rack of 4 carbs and is less than $300 and works well.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you!

That's cheap as hell at $30.
No problem. Make sure to get both kit A and kit B for a full rebuild. Not only is it cheap, but it's also VITON!!! :punk
Flawless fitment also. I was the first person to find this company I think. I've been promoting them ever since. The price is good, they include every gasket and o-ring in the carbs, and top quality and fitment. Can't get better than that. The first time I ordered it took 16 days to get to me. The second time I ordered it took only 10 days.

Nice, did it run any better afterwards?
I rebuilt these carbs for forum member "Polka_Dick"
I did the same with my carbs. Yes, they ran much better. And make sure to replace the float needles if haven't done so already.

Those can be found here: K L Supply Float Needle 5pk 18 8944 Multiple Apps See Charts Suz 5 PK 292751 | eBay

If the eBay link doesn't work then search this on ebay and look for the lowest price + shipping.
"K&L Supply Float Needle - 5Pk 18-8944"
$37 shipped for 5 new float needles is a hell of a deal in my eyes.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you want to remove the throttle plate you first need to remove the 2 screws, but the 2 screws are flared out on the opposite end from being hit with a hammer. (I forgot the name for this)

To remove the throttle plate screws I held the throttle open and took a flat metal file to them. Just be careful not to rub the file on the insides of the aluminum carb housing. Don't worry if you hit the center throttle shaft. It's made of a tougher metal than the screws. Keep filing until the ends of the screws are almost flush with the center shaft. Then use a screwdriver with the correct profile for the Phillips heads. Break them loose and remove. Then keep the throttle open and the throttle plate can slide out.

Note: When loosening the nuts to remove the throttle shaft from the carburetor, make sure to use a vice grip on the same side the nut is on. Otherwise, if you try to loosen the nut without doing this you can twist and mangle the throttle shaft.

After replacing the throttle shaft seals and you reinstall the throttle shaft and throttle plate, make sure to use Red Loctite on the new throttle plate screws. Tighten them well. After a few hours make sure to use a hammer+chisel-like tool and dent the screws from the other side to prevent them from loosening and getting eaten by the engine. I still don't know what this process is called. Lol. Anyone here know?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts