Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
748 d.ot head on 1127 N, couple of things preventing me from completing the build,
1- carbs wont go in the boots not even with ratchet strap. (Yes they are the correct boots, spacing on carbs is a bit off, might dremel boots)
2- fuel tap is hitting the carbs from what i can foresee, what if any solution do i have other than running a pingel tap, and if thats the only option which pingel have u guys used, there seem to be many options, i need the one that will work.

Cheers guys

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd remove a boot or all of them from the head and see if you can attach the boots to the carbs that way. You may soak them in near boiling water for a few minutes first, then grease them up. A press may help too to ease them into place. Once pressed on with the boots and carbs off the motor, measure the screw holes on the boots to verify everything is correct. I have 36mm Mukini Flatslides on my '86 750 with the original boots and they fit fine. Yes the boots get a bit hard as they age and the carbs can be a bit difficult to install, but using a Dremel tool to remove material is not something I'd do. I also R&R'd 36 FS, rebuilt them too on an '82 Suz 1100 I worked on a year or two ago. I got the bike going after sitting over 20 years.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so i got the pingel with the offset spacer, now the tank hits the throttle cable on the carbs, would you bend the tang the cables go through on the carbs or lift the tank with spacers ?

·
Likes to race old junk.
2,808 Posts
I would try bending the bracket slightly to give you clearance. I had to do the same when I put a big flat slide on my turbo bike...lots of finessing here and there.
You have 2 cables now for your flat slides...push & pull...correct?
The throttle action will be stiffer than the CV's...just make sure that the throttle snaps back after you release it.

If you add spacers to the tank, it looks like crap...because the body lines & panel gaps are off then. I would do that as a last resort.

A big part of these projects is the never ending problem solving and finding solutions...it sounds like you're just about there! :)

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Ok so i got the pingel with the offset spacer, now the tank hits the throttle cable on the carbs, would you bend the tang the cables go through on the carbs or lift the tank with spacers ?
What kind of flat sides? Keihin makes alternate cable brackets for FCR's that rotate the push/pull cable holders to tilt them at more of an angle, lowering it to clear the tank. Don't know if Mikuni has similar options. I had to install those for the same clearance issue on both an 89 and 90 with Keihin 39 and 41 FCR's.

The downside to that is the carbs I believe need to be disassembled to install...Oh well you needed to rebuild the carbs anyway?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts