Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my valve cover, the bolt closest to my right knee when I'm riding, leaks oil around it. I put in a new rubber washer gasket (the right direction even) and the bolt is correct torque but still leaks. What is the best solution?

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Make sure its not stripped,if its not,ditto a little SUZUKI bond on both sides will do the trick...

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Common problem with stripped cam caps. If its stripped APE sells a 1mm oversized botl that is also made out of alum. so it won't strip teh caps. They also sell a stock size for those of you that don't want to risk it. I have replaced all of mine with the alloy ones. Just coat the rubber on both sides with some copper RTV and let it set-up (skin) for a couple minutes before you put it on.

·
Super Moderator
17,408 Posts
Hey bones...

The previous owner stripped two of the larger valve cover bolts.
The leak was minimal when I first got the bike but now it's time to check valves and what not and I'm going to have to address the problem.
The bolts seem to tighten a little then just spin, it seems like the top few threads on block are stripped.
What can I do??
I'll get a few pics this afternoon & post 'em..

·
Registered
257 Posts
For stripped cover bolts you can get the oversize bolts from APE or put a heli-coil http://www.helicoil.com/products/helicoil.html in. I prefer the heli-coils over the APE bolts for a few reasons:

- Since you need to retap the cam caps anyways you might as well put n the stainless insert which will be stronger and not strip out again

- It's cheaper since a $30 heli-coil kit will do a complete motor with inserts to spare

I went ahead and heli-coiled all mine (even the non-stripped ones) and it was really easy and now I don't need to worry about those stupid bolts ever again.

Matt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the responses, I'm certain it's been threaded I can spin it with little resistance. It was well hidden when I bought it. I've ordered some new bolts and gasket figured I'll check the internals while I'm in there as I'm planning to do some long rides.

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
I found that Heli-coils are very temperamental, I used Time serts with great results.

cheers

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
+1 on time serts over helicoils. Have to spend more money on their special tools and need a bit more metal surrounding the hole than helicoils but they are superior

1 - 16 of 16 Posts