Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I finally picked up my dream bike. Gorgeous 2001 1000. So yeah, i have been checking around here quite a bit, long time as a guest, but just joined after buying the bike. I'm just wondering, what's out there for performance mods? i am talking front to back, the best things i can do to help my bike. Everything from the performance of the Wave rotors, to turbo systems would be greatly appreciated!! Thanx a ton guys!

·
Registered
493 Posts
stick a k3 engine in it ohh
and get a k3 frame and k3 forks
if you can k3 wheels and swing arm

ohh and do a search on it - there are thousands of similar posts archived here

·
Registered
133 Posts

Why not just say trade it in for a K3?

·
Registered
493 Posts
cos i was taking the piss

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, that's not really the advice I was hoping for. But seriously, i know theres alot out there, and the psots i come up with are off topic, so i thought just a quick rundown...

i mean really, in the time it took to give me shit, you coulda given advice...

stuff like the one less tooth on the front gear, waht that'll do for me, adding teeth to the rear gear, same thing... air filter, stuff i should do just to maximize the bike. I love it, and it's styling, and honestly, i want both my headlights ons
so what can i do?

·
Registered
493 Posts
get an air filter but they aint woth much power if any
and go either one down on the front or 2 up on the rear - feels like more power
you can also get turbos to fit and big bore kitsbut overkill for street and too much ££££
full systems are also available that give more power but again £££££ better to go for.....
power commandersor yoshi remap are worthwhile with a slip-on

diablo corsas are a good choice of tyres
raise the rear by 10mm for sharper steering and put lighter oil in steering damper
set suspension for your weight
get braided hoses and double H pads for brakes as they fade terrible

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
imo, the best mod for your bike will be setting the suspension for your weight, and investing in a riding course (keith code, kevin schwantz, pengiun, etc...). forget about making more power for now, and work on improving your riding ability. if you have already done those things, and still want more, i would suggest:

hindle full race exhaust
pc3r
bmc race filter
denso iridium plugs
520 chain conversion with a +2 rear sprocket
jeffw's switchable t.r.e.
frame sliders

good luck!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Your question is like asking santa clause who has been naughty and who has been nice...the list is way too extensive.....

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I fitted the K2 with some ultralight cf wheels and Ohlins front/rear suspension.
It handles like a 600, no joke.
The full Brembo brake set up makes it stop on a dime.
On the engine side the combo of Akra evo, PC3 with accell pump, BMC race, Factorypro stacks and JSD2 makes enough power for me. It aslo sings a tune that is soooo nice

..........and yeah, I would throw on some quality rearsets as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i know, and i figured it would be. But i am jsut wondering what would eb the best bet, ya know. I mean, even if you only list one item, if it was great on your bike, i'm interested. That's all. I would love, but defintely don't expect a complete list from one guy, by far not gonna happen, but a little advice from a few, would kick ass!! thanx for any help you guys, been awesome so far.

One more question, what about visual mods... Like hids, and stuff. i know there's the complete carbon fiber body, but what else? i like the stock mirrors, but are there better, more sleek styled ones that look good? let's see...

I've also heard that our chains, brakes, and everything are really not even as good as the 750's...so would putting their parts on actually improve the bike? i've heard of the calipers and stuff so far, but is it actually better to have 2 less pistons on the calipers?

i hope this isn't too bigga pain in the ass, just very curious about my new baby, that's all!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On the engine side the combo of Akra evo, PC3 with accell pump, BMC race, Factorypro stacks and JSD2 makes enough power for me. It aslo sings a tune that is soooo nice

in english? lol... ok, i'm guessing the akra is the exhaust system, the but not sure on pretty much all the rest...

guess i'm more of a newb than i thought.

oh, one question i forgot, ok, i'm 220, about 5'10...how should i set up the suspension? or what should i feel for when adjusting.
sooooo.... someone care to explain all this to me?

·
Registered
551 Posts

LMAO! jeeezzzz...ROTFLMAO!!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
you know i did motor mods, exhaust, sprockets with 520, but the most noticeable was when i put rims on.... Hands down the most noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts

in english? lol... ok, i'm guessing the akra is the exhaust system, the but not sure on pretty much all the rest...

guess i'm more of a newb than i thought.

oh, one question i forgot, ok, i'm 220, about 5'10...how should i set up the suspension? or what should i feel for when adjusting.
sooooo.... someone care to explain all this to me?
- Akrapovic Evolution full titanium exhaust with carbon fiber cannister
- Power Commander USB fuel management module. It has a feature called acceleartor pump which you can program into it
- BMC race air filter for better airflow
- Factory Pro velocity stacks. Mounts in the airbox. Don't know if they really gave me any more power, but the sound from the airbox is very sweet.
- JSD2 = Jeffw's switchable TRE. TRE = Timing Retard Eliminator. Go to jeffw's homepage You will find the info you need there.

I assume you know what rearsets are?

I agree with those who say that advanced rider courses and track time is well spent money.
However this is the mods I have done and unless you are a crazy HP freak I recommend you spend money on suspension and brake upgrades first.

On another thought, if you are going to spend all this money on this bike.............why not just sell it, add the budget you intend to spend on upgrades and buy the K5. It is a better motorcycle after all

PS! Regarding suspension set up, do a google search. Tons of info to make you more than confused.

I think bottom of the line is make sure you have the the correct springs for your weight, set the correct sag. Start with stock settings and go from there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts