Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched, and found bits of useful info here and there...

But who can lay it all out in one post...

The clear plastic coverings...
Are they just over the patch? Or is it a clear envelope with the patch inside kinda thing... Do you see both ways done? When did this start? Why did it start? What exactly is the material that you are putting over the patch? Just a clear vinyl?

Sewing them on vs. glueing or iron on...
Obviously sewing must be better. I've heard everything from $5 to $20 per patch. What's a fair price? Is the cheaper the price going to mean the patches aren't straight? Bad stitching? Etc. Etc.

And of course everyone says Barnacle Bill's or Spyder Leatherworks... But I don't want to ship my $1500 suit across the country. I want someone local that I can talk to and meet with. Are shoe repair places about the only ones with the right equipment? Who else might be capable of taking on the feat? Who else would maybe have decent experience doing this?

Any and all info would really be greatly appreciated. And finding the patches hasn't been an issue, but lettering is. Especially something out of the usual block letters... Any ideas on that one? Maybe a place or website that can make you a custom patch by telling them the spelling of your name or something like that?

·
Premium Member
17,154 Posts
the clear plastic is just a thin piece of clear vinyl that goes over it. it is not a pocket is just sawed on with the patch. $2-$5 per patch is average.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts

Are they just over the patch? Or is it a clear envelope with the patch inside kinda thing... Do you see both ways done? When did this start? Why did it start? What exactly is the material that you are putting over the patch? Just a clear vinyl?

Obviously sewing must be better. I've heard everything from $5 to $20 per patch. What's a fair price? Is the cheaper the price going to mean the patches aren't straight? Bad stitching? Etc. Etc.

And of course everyone says Barnacle Bill's or Spyder Leatherworks... But I don't want to ship my $1500 suit across the country. I want someone local that I can talk to and meet with. Are shoe repair places about the only ones with the right equipment? Who else might be capable of taking on the feat? Who else would maybe have decent experience doing this?

Any and all info would really be greatly appreciated. And finding the patches hasn't been an issue, but lettering is. Especially something out of the usual block letters... Any ideas on that one? Maybe a place or website that can make you a custom patch by telling them the spelling of your name or something like that?
Do you know anyone in the NAVY or Marine Corp that is an Aircraft Wing/ Squadron? If so Find the PR's (Parachute Riggers) or the Seat Mech shop (Marine Corp)...They have sewing machines right there in the shop with heavy duty thread...A couple of cases of their favorite beverage will be payment enough to them...(Once the job is complete)...
Just make sure you ask who is the best (Stitch Bitch) in the shop...That is who you want...

As far as the VINYL goes...Get it @ WalMart for like $3.50 a yard. just make sure you get the one with the PINK static paper on the back...Any other color will be either too thick or too thin...The vinyl is used to keep the patches looking clean & new...

Block letters: Use MS WORD and make them to your liking Size/ font then get some leather scraps from a uhpolstry shop and cut them out yourself with an exacto knife...

Once you are done take all of your shit/ stuff put a small piece of double stick tape on every patch and place them where you want them to be...Wash hands...done, done...

Hope this helped ya out...!!!!

·
Banned
2 Posts

Best Quality Patches at low price! Austintrim & Wholesalers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts