Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 GSXR 600 with a 1998 750 motor in it. I have alot of questions for I am not a mechanic.

First off, my light in the gauges does not work. Is there any way to replace just the light, if so is it hard? If not then I take it that I must get a whole new gauge cluster?

Does it make a BIG difference if you run without the ram air tubes in, if so what difference does it make and which is better - in or out? Also does anyone know where to get the rubber pieces for the ram air tube all I have is the plastic tube parts but no rubber grommet/gasket things?

I have a Yoshi RS3 carbon fiber exhaust and it has a hole/crack on the inner part that faces the rear tire. Is there any way to fix/ patch this without having to replace the WHOLE can. i have heard someone mention using fiberglass to patch it. What do you guys think?

How do you remove and replace the wind screen rubber grommets without destroying them?

These are all the questions for now, hopes somebody can help.
Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Those windscreen grommets suck!!! I've gone to take the screen off then thought, NAH, cant be bothered too much hassle.

As for ram air, you need it or the top end of you engine performance will not be very good. Without it, it will go flat at high revs and not be as fast as it should be

·
Registered
645 Posts
Well the gauge cluster just has light bulbs in it. Unless you had a 2001 model, then you'd have to send it off to be fixed as they're different entirely. So you can find replacement bulbs and just unscrew the back of the cluster and go in and insert new ones.

as for the ram air tubes. Leave them in. They help that airbox to pressurize and especially for when Ram air takes affect at 100mph +. If you're missing rubber boots, then ask someone if they have any laying around as they may have junked one in the past, or look on Ebay, or order new ones at the dealer. Also, add some ducting tape to the foam gaskets that rest up against the frame on the airbox. This will just help a little in sealing the airbox to the ducts a little better. It's no big hp gain or anything. Maybe 1 or 2 at ram air pressures! hehe

You could probably patch that whole on the muffler with a small patch of fiberglass. Just a little resin and hand laid fiberglass and then just touch it up with a little black maybe so it's not obvious. It's not too big a deal really. I'd personally just replace it if you can shell out some pounds or bucks.... whatever currency you use.

Lastly the rubber wind screen grommets are really easy to pop out. Just pull them through the bottom of the fairing and they'll just casually squeeze through the holes. If you take the bolts out the washer that's sealed up in the shank... in other words the part in it that has the threads should relax the shank enough so you can pull that part through the hole too. It's nothing really. Just pull'em.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
96Gixx7Fitty - Also, add some ducting tape to the foam gaskets that rest up against the frame on the airbox. This will just help a little in sealing the airbox to the ducts a little better.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So put duct tape over the foam gaskets creating like another layer? Also, since I dont have the the repair manual or much of a mechanic, the airbox is located under the tank somehwere I would take it??? Or are you talking about where the ram air tube meets the frame - that gasket there???? Forgive me for my non-mechanicness.

dirtybird_750- I know that you need a 98-99 750 cluster with the FI light when you do the FI conversion on a 96-97 gixxer.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Heh, you are gonna have to help me out too please
Which light are you talking about, the instrument cluster light??? And why do I need a 98-99 750 cluster with the FI light when I do the FI conversion on a 96-97 gixxer???

Thank you for your help guys, every lil bit helps. /me trying to save money where I can.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Uh yeah sorry.. I was meaning to mention it's where the airbox mates with the frame. Those spongy gaskets to cushion the airbox against the frame sometimes have big gaps and so air leaks out around them.. so if you use like a single layer of duct tape around them it will keep the air concentrated to the airbox. It's not going to give you like 5 horsepower or anything, but what the heck right? I'd just do it as it should cost you nothing to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts