Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 12yrs I'm back on a K8. Funny how life works. I bought a race bike on a divorce sale and I've been piecing it together over the winter to 'street it' this coming summer. Was probably a better idea financially to just but something ready to go but the cool trick parts on this bike got me. Hayden Magton wheels, Kit Yosh electronics, full ohlins front end, brembo thumb brake, etc.

Question - I cannot find anywhere online where the parking light connects to the speedo cluster harness? The service manual doesn't really show, can't find pics on the web. I know that there is a separate harness but where does that harness plug into on the bike? It has to be on the headlight / speedo wiring because nothing else is at the front?

Appreciate your time.
Thanks

Attachments

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,952 Posts
The diagrams in the service and parts manuals are incomplete, which may be the source of your confusion. The front harness connects to the main harness by two connectors, a sixteen pin shrouded connector and a two pin connector. The parts manual shows the two pin on the main harness but not on the front. There are seven connectors on the other end of the front harness, hi & low beams, L & R turn signals, cluster, damper, and position. They are shown in the service manual's wiring diagram (note Br and B/W leads to the position light) but the damper connector is omitted on page 9-35. Race bikes commonly use a windscreen that omits the position light. So the previous owner may have cut the leads. Look for stubs. You may need a new front harness.

The position light uses a W5W halogen bulb. It's brighter than typical wedge base bulbs but it's always on and tends to burn out. Replacing it is difficult. You're better off to install an LED equivalent in its place.

Thumb brake

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's great info thanks. I bought a new speedo/headlight harness so nothing is cut. I think I got it. I labeled all the ends and by elimination I'm assuming the last one will be where the position harness plugs into. I ordered the position harness today but with the current state of affairs shipping may be delayed.

Ya the thumb brake is cool. Completely useless for the street but neat.

Attachments

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,952 Posts
The wire colors in the wiring diagram ought to tell you what is what. In my experience it's very good. However I looked at some front harnesses on ebay and the damper lead colors don't seem to match the wiring diagram and instead look more like the K9 colors. In particular, I don't see a W lead. Don't know what that's about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts