Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a new paint gun. I have a compressor. I was looking for some type of tutorial on how to paint fairings or anything. What gid sand paper do I use to remove the paint? What grid is used before adding primer? Do I sand the primer? any tips on useing the gun? Etc...etc...? Is there a difference when painting plastic(fairings) or metal (car hood).
Help. I have some idea's but I want to know how to do it perfect. Practice makes perfect. Im willing to learn. Thanks guys.!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If not a tutorial paybe some tips. Like how to use the pant un etc...? layers? etc?

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey guys, ive been painting proffesionaly for 10 years and while i cant give you anywhere near that training in a forum reply here are a couple of guide lines.
primer must not be used on any surface prepared with a grit less than 240...otherwise it will flake off.it needs a coarse suface to adhere to.any areas that are through to plastic(if working on fairings)will need a plastic primer dusted on before the build primer.
spray a light coat of color(black for instance)over the primed areas before you flat it.this will act as a guide as you flat and show up defects.use a sanding block that is flat and true as any areas that are low will still have guide paint on them.use a grade of paper around the 800 or 1000 grit preferably wet.
dry the panels throughly and degrease them well.a specific panel wipe is best but you can make do with white spirits.
when applying paint try to maintain a fifty fifty overlap on your passes and if the color is poor covering do not be tempted to welly it on.allow the paint to dry or "tack off"before applying consecutive coats untill covered.if the color you are painting is a metallic you may well need to "drop coat"it to eliminate any patchyness.turn the fluid down and the air and increase your pass speed-this would be much easier to show than it is to explain just before bed.
when appliying laquer/clear coat spray your first coat 70% and your second 100%. the lighter first coat helps the second coat hold better and is sometimes called a "grip coat".
always spray in a well ventillated area and with some sort of breathing apparatus preferably air fed.also most paints are cancer causing so be aware that saving money can come at the cost of your health.
as a final tip i would say if you can afford it get the pros to do it.they will undoubtably do a much better job.
hope this helps a bit dudes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts