Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Looking for a right paint for stator cover on gsxr 1000 L5. Thank you in advance

Gmarfer

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,636 Posts
I assume it's magnesium like on my K6. Doing it right is complicated. You need to prep the surface and, far and away, the preferred method is Tagnite. But it's only available from them and, by that, I mean you send them the part. Suzuki's obviously not doing that but I'll bet that their supplier has cloned the process. Here's a home brewed alternative. But it's probably more work than you're willing to do. A get-by approach that's a couple steps further down on the desirability list is to clean the sufaces with Scotch-Brite pads and apply an air drying epoxy paint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi folks,
Looking for a right paint for stator cover on gsxr 1000 L5. Thank you in advance

Gmarfer
Hi folks,

Gmarfer
I assume it's magnesium like on my K6. Doing it right is complicated. You need to prep the surface and, far and away, the preferred method is Tagnite. But it's only available from them and, by that, I mean you send them the part. Suzuki's obviously not doing that but I'll bet that their supplier has cloned the process. Here's a home brewed alternative. But it's probably more work than you're willing to do. A get-by approach that's a couple steps further down on the desirability list is to clean the sufaces with Scotch-Brite pads and apply an air drying epoxy paint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bike dropped and as a result it left a scratch on the stator cover,I have already done sanding on it and as far as I can tell it felt smoother and ready to be painted,
I would to to know what type of paint i could buy to match the existing paint this only a touch up paint just want to make sure I buy the correct one.
SATIN BLACK,MATT BLACK,GLOSSY BLACK,SEMI GLOSSY BLACK,OR FLAT BLACK??thank you

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,636 Posts
Why are you copying things over and over?

It's a semigloss but the exact shade may vary with supplier.

Make sure that your cover is OK. As far as I know, the engine oil main runs through it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
+1 on verifying the cover integrity.
Unless you are actually covering a small scratch, and since you were doing sanding I am assuming you are needing to cover a fair bit of metal, I would paint the whole cover, then you don't have to try to match an odd patch.
Otherwise you could spend a lot of time trying to match it, and still have an obviously patched spot.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Get a manual. Remove the cover and paint with spray paint if you want it perfect. Also, if you just touch it up with spray paint it will probably be fine. Just sand, prime, and paint. Mask off the entire bike. Its not really hard just dont rush it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts