Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Put the Switchable TRE on and it's great ,but I tried topping the bike out and it's still
not going past 186mph.
What is the problem???

·
Registered
77 Posts
Word around here is that the speedo won't read any higher than 186mph no matter how fast you go......assuming you are making enough power to go that fast......

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats kinda weird when you can see the first number goes to a 2 but won't indicate.
As far as the power well why would Suzuki add more RPM's to a bike that won't actualy pull threw more with more Horsepower????
That seems a little far fetched to me!!!

·
Premium Member
11,910 Posts
Do not confuse "restricted speed" with mph display. If you want to see > 186 mph on your bike you can switch to metric and install a yellow box and calibrate it for mph.

Restricted to 186 mph is done by the ECU shutting down the #4 injector.....that is why you need a JSD.

But then, you are going to also need around 15- 20 hp extra as well.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thats kinda weird when you can see the first number goes to a 2 but won't indicate.
As far as the power well why would Suzuki add more RPM's to a bike that won't actualy pull threw more with more Horsepower????
That seems a little far fetched to me!!!
jeffw has your solution, which is also why the display can show a 2 as its for km/h.

Ours read to 299km/h which is 186mph, this is because the manufactures agreed to limit top speed to below 300km/h a while back after the top speeds of these sorts of bikes received a fair bit of publicity and as a result flack from do gooders.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
Do not confuse "restricted speed" with mph display. If you want to see > 186 mph on your bike you can switch to metric and install a yellow box and calibrate it for mph.

Restricted to 186 mph is done by the ECU shutting down the #4 injector.....that is why you need a JSD.

Jeff I am curious.... where do you find this information about #4 injector? I have never seen this on any test or publication.

Can you show any proof that the #4 injector is powered off at a particular RPM point in 6th gear compared to any other gear? Is this an indicated speed or RPM that triggers the injector off?

The only electronic limit that I'm aware of is the ignition cut-off RPM limit and this will not restrict speed if you have enough final drive ratio and horsepower of course.

Top speed is determined physically by the gears and sprockets. As far as I know it is calculated out to 186 mph (299 kph) on some of the faster sport bikes such as the stock GSX-R 1000 and Busa. I do not have my K5 service manual yet but it is currently on order so as soon as I get it I will check the gear and drive ratios for the K5.

The smaller class bikes are usually geared to less maximum top speed even though the speedometer may indicate 186 mph (299 kph) from speedo error. My K2 750 was geared to reach a possible 172.24 mph actual speed but the stock speedometer wasn't restricted to 186 mph as far as I know. That speedo limit started in '03 or '04 on the 750.

TRE won't help you go faster than the gears or engine horsepower allow. So why all the hype I see so many talk about actually going faster once they install a TRE with no other modifications physically to the bike? Impossible to go faster than the gears, sprockets, wheel and tire will allow.

I believe both the GSX-R 1000 and Busa has enough power to go beyond 186 mph actual speed but they are limited by gear ratios. I don't believe there is any electronic limiter other than the rev limiter.

Speed = (rpm x rear tire circumference x front sprocket) ÷ (primary gear ratio x sixth gear ratio x rear sprocket x 1056)

Your going to hit the top speed limit and rpm limit with a specific gear ratio and sprocket/wheel/tire size. The factory sets these parameters for a maximum top speed. A little more gear will allow a bit more speed until horsepower limits are reached. No TRE needed to do this with a stock ECU. Just my observations from working with these bikes. Unless there is a special injector cut-off signal in top gear the bike is limited by the gears not ECU.

·
Registered
153 Posts
if thats true you would redline when you hit 186 but you dont i can bouce off the 186 limiter in 5th gear so if it was limited by gear i would redline in 6 im not sure if your new to the sport bike world but the tre has been discussed millions of times it has even been tested by a popular magazine

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
if thats true you would redline when you hit 186 but you dont i can bouce off the 186 limiter in 5th gear so if it was limited by gear i would redline in 6 im not sure if your new to the sport bike world but the tre has been discussed millions of times it has even been tested by a popular magazine
I'm not new to this subject. I have never seen proof that the TRE is needed for a stock ECU. I've only had my new bike up to 170 mph indicated and that was in fifth gear so no personal experience.

Funny thing is the fifth gear GPS signal would allow you to overcome any speed limiter since that is the gear signal the TRE uses for the 1000cc GPS signal in sixth gear. So from what your saying about bouncing off of 186 indicated in fifth gear makes no sense.

You should be able to go over 186 indicated in fifth gear if you have enough final drive ratio. Since the sixth gear GPS signal is what the ECU uses for limiting top speed according to the TRE guru's.

What is your RPM in fifth gear at an indicated 186 mph?

Also realize there is a Speedo error so you are not going 186 mph when it is indicated, another problem that must be realized. I've read about tests done on stock sportbikes that have hit over 180 mph actual speed on Radar. At 180 mph actual speed you would indicate over 186 mph considering speedo errors. Did they use a TRE? Wouldn't seem likely in a "stock" sportbike test.

The Speedo error is about 10% so at 186 indicated you are at an actual speed of approximately 168 mph. Still a ways to go to actual speed of 186 mph. Something else is going on with your story.

It also seems to be that the so called #4 injector cut-off is not the only thing going on if you say you are bouncing off of the "186 limiter". The reduction of fuel by one injector would not behave erratically as you've described, it would simply loose power in my opinion.

I don't have the correct gear information for maximum speed for the K5 1K from the gears and final drive, waiting on the service manual for my bike.

Interesting but now even more questions are raised and not enough information to make any sense of what is really going on.

·
Registered
153 Posts
im not sure of the rpm that i was at but it was at the redline but the bike acted as if i was hitting some kind of limiter an i know that the guages arent accurate i was refering to indicated speed, im going to fit my tre next week an also try an mount a cam for a diffreance in rpm an indiacated speed

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
im not sure of the rpm that i was at but it was at the redline but the bike acted as if i was hitting some kind of limiter an i know that the guages arent accurate i was refering to indicated speed, im going to fit my tre next week an also try an mount a cam for a diffreance in rpm an indiacated speed
I'm assuming you where indeed hitting the ignition cut-off (rev limiter) at maximum revs. The rev limiter gives you the sensation of engine bounce or sputtering.

·
Registered
174 Posts
the k5 will hit 186 in 5th no prob now sixth it hits it with a few thousand rpms to go it has the power to over come the 186 if i had a tre. the only true way is to get the tre and a gps to see though

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
the k5 will hit 186 in 5th no prob now sixth it hits it with a few thousand rpms to go it has the power to over come the 186 if i had a tre. the only true way is to get the tre and a gps to see though
Well I definitely can tell the new bike will hit into the 180's indicated in fifth gear. I was able to easily get to 170 at around 11K. The problem however is the stock Speedo is not accurate. Say a 10% error. So the idea of top speed being electronically limited is questionable since the same thing can be accomplished by the final drive ratio.

The question I'm asking Jeff is if there is an electronic speed limiter for fuel in top gear when does it come into effect and how and when did he or others test and discover this?

·
Registered
941 Posts
I would like to know if/how to get into the instrument cluster and remove what ever resistor or move a jumper to make the speedo read past the 186 MPH mark. (I don't work on electronics so I have no idea if this is even possible, but there has to be something keeping the speedo from reading over the 186 mark.)

I think I've been to that mark maybe 3 times, I guess its just knowing that something has been done to limit my bike and it just bugs the piss out of me....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Guys which JSD do I get for my K5.I went to the website but i'm confused.
I need one for an 01 too.
appreciate any info.
Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
everbody sayin speedo error, ive heard that about all bikes but 2 weeks ago when we had our poker run i got a free run to try and get the guy some business When he hit the infimous 186 mark thats what the dyno was readin. Even the guy runnin the test said that most bikes run an average of 12 points off so maybe the K5 actually callibrated the speedo correctly or maybe i got lucky or his dyno is fucked up as bad as my speedo but what r the chances.

·
Premium Member
11,910 Posts
Guys which JSD do I get for my K5.I went to the website but i'm confused.
I need one for an 01 too.
appreciate any info.
Thanks
01 either a JSD-1 or a JSD-2

05 - Only a JSD-2

·
Premium Member
11,910 Posts

Jeff I am curious.... where do you find this information about #4 injector? I have never seen this on any test or publication.

Can you show any proof that the #4 injector is powered off at a particular RPM point in 6th gear compared to any other gear? Is this an indicated speed or RPM that triggers the injector off?

The only electronic limit that I'm aware of is the ignition cut-off RPM limit and this will not restrict speed if you have enough final drive ratio and horsepower of course.

Top speed is determined physically by the gears and sprockets. As far as I know it is calculated out to 186 mph (299 kph) on some of the faster sport bikes such as the stock GSX-R 1000 and Busa. I do not have my K5 service manual yet but it is currently on order so as soon as I get it I will check the gear and drive ratios for the K5.

The smaller class bikes are usually geared to less maximum top speed even though the speedometer may indicate 186 mph (299 kph) from speedo error. My K2 750 was geared to reach a possible 172.24 mph actual speed but the stock speedometer wasn't restricted to 186 mph as far as I know. That speedo limit started in '03 or '04 on the 750.

TRE won't help you go faster than the gears or engine horsepower allow. So why all the hype I see so many talk about actually going faster once they install a TRE with no other modifications physically to the bike? Impossible to go faster than the gears, sprockets, wheel and tire will allow.

I believe both the GSX-R 1000 and Busa has enough power to go beyond 186 mph actual speed but they are limited by gear ratios. I don't believe there is any electronic limiter other than the rev limiter.

Speed = (rpm x rear tire circumference x front sprocket) ÷ (primary gear ratio x sixth gear ratio x rear sprocket x 1056)

Your going to hit the top speed limit and rpm limit with a specific gear ratio and sprocket/wheel/tire size. The factory sets these parameters for a maximum top speed. A little more gear will allow a bit more speed until horsepower limits are reached. No TRE needed to do this with a stock ECU. Just my observations from working with these bikes. Unless there is a special injector cut-off signal in top gear the bike is limited by the gears not ECU.
From Suzuki.......

And like I have said... the ECU does shutdown the #4 when it reads 6th gear @ 186mph......unless you have a 1999 Hayabusa...... then it just keep on going. So far as gearing, you need to remember that Suzuki figures it out for stock settings.......any changes are not their responsibility nor are planned for. That is why when you change sprocket sizes your speedo is off.

A JSD has two fucntions:

1) remove the speed limiter on 1k & Busasa
2) Remove the ignition retard in the lower gears (104) that Suzuki puts in at the factory.

A JSD/TRE will not make more hp, it will help low gear acceleration with the ignition timing adjustments.

I do have a dyno run on my bike with and without a JSD showing an increase in speed when using a JSD....stock 03 1000 (mine) on the same day. The red run is with the JSD, it about 4 mph faster.

Sorry the 01-04 1ks do not have the hp to goo past 186.... the 99 Busa with no restriction hit 194pmh in a magazine test......so the busa by its slipery design should hit that today with a JSD installed.

And another bit for thought........ wherer does Suzuki tell you what resistor size is needed for the anto-theft system (whne you want to remove your ignition switch for racing)???????? They don't...... you either find out from someone else.... or you have a friend a Yoshimura, or Suzuki tell you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts