Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s not easy admitting weaknesses but here it goes. I'm 26 about to be 27; I'm 5'5" and weigh 300-305 lbs. Been fat since the third grade and about three years ago found out I had diabetes. I'm so insecure about it that I end up getting rid of gym memberships because people look at me like I'm the biggest piece of shit on the earth when I'm there trying to lose weight.

I'm tired of not living! I'm tired of wondering if I'm going to wake up the next morning! There are so many things I don’t do because of this....the two that really bother me and piss me off are not taking my girlfriend of 9 years out to places she would like to go because of my insecurities or my inabilities and having a k6 GSXR 1000 sitting in my garage unridden since I bought it. Purchased this bike in late 2008 with 718 miles on it and it’s in the same place untouched since then. It’s fuckin ridiculous.

So this morning I purchased the p90x program and for the first time I feel like I have the excitement, drive and will power to move forward and change before it’s too late. I read about how you guys that are in shape are struggling with p90x but I want and NEED the challenge. So my only question at this point is about the chin ups/pull ups. I know for a fact I won’t be able to do them (at least for now) so what can I do to substitute the exercise. I want to try to stay as true to the program as possible and I hope there is something I can do that will keep up with the intensity of the exercise.

If I ever gain the courage to post up some progress pics I will but I'm not sure that any of you guys wanna lose your sight or a recent meal.....:vomit

Thanks for taking the time to read through this and if you can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Only Here to LOL & +1....
8,002 Posts
So my only question at this point is about the chin ups/pull ups. I know for a fact i wont be able to do them (at least for now) so what can i do to substitute the exercise.
I'd get a stool or box of some sort and while doing the pull ups take a bit of the weight with your legs.........good for you man......don't give up.:cheers

·
Registered
116 Posts
So my only question at this point is about the chin ups/pull ups.
buy one of those big ass aerobic rubber bands, wrap it around the bar and put either a knee or if its big enough a foot in it. Also keep in mind you need to do cardio AFTER you work out so that you burn off all your carbohydrate energy and burn the fat energy during the cardio session.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Good on you for doing it man. Check this out also I'm sure there are some groups around you. www.crossfit.com Also don't worry about how people look at you. Remember those fit people in the gym started somewhere. Also, nobody will judge you when they see you in there busting your ass. Here is another that I like. www.bodybuilding.com Good luck man the hardest part is staying motivated. However, I think that you are motivated enough.

·
I wear a 4pc Collar Bone
2,278 Posts
As a resident fitness nut let me be the first to say p90x or any form of calisthenics or cardio alone is not going to make you lose weight if your diet is not in order. Focus on diet first then add in exercising to achieve the goals you want (weight loss, aesthetics, strength, marathons, w/e).

Good luck and stay motivated :cheers

·
Registered
535 Posts
Diet is a huge part, and having diabetes can make it harder. I have had diabetes for almost 19 years now, and after taking a certain insulin for years before I finally found out that it was causing serious hunger and making me eat more and sweat like no other. Stick with it, you will see results.

·
Dont take ANY of my advice, EVER, when it comes to
1,493 Posts
At least for me, it was exercise that got me healthy. Went from 235 to 205, got my blood sugars from the high side of normal to text book normal. Went from LDL of 243 and a DR giving my scrips to fix it, to 18 months later LDL is down to 100 and HDL at 80, DR telling me that it is great and no need to look at meds. All of this without any meds. I feel great, I just got back from 5 days riding in the mountains, I play racquetball, I feel better then I did ten years ago.

As for weight, that's where diet comes in. I eat a lot less calories and fat than I once did. That's what keeps my weight in check. Once you get used to eating different foods, your dislike things you used ot love. For example, nothing can ruin my appetite faster then seeing a comercial on TV for Burger King. That greasy, fat dripping meat just looks disgusting to my now. I enjoy Almond Milk in my cereal, Oatmeal with a little honey or berries taste great, I don;t care for very sweet things anymore. Your body and your tastebuds get used to what you eat.

If 1000 years ago, veggies were given as a treat to kids for doing something good, we all would be clamouring over carrots instead of Snickers bars.

One more thing. To help stay on target, set a schedule, like 4 days a week, for 1 hr, let's say 6-7pm on Tues, Wed, Friday and Sunday, you do P90X. Treat it like a job, something you have to do.

"Sorry, I can stay late tonight, I have an appointment I can't miss"

"Hey guys, great game, but I have to get going, I have to be somewhere in an hour"

anyway, best of luck with everything.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
what ever you do don't give up keep doing it every day and try the full work out pause if needed. and the nutrition thing is weird but Put down the burger, lay off the fries, drink your water. Recovery drink highly recommend after the workout. I use whey powder with rice milk. Or good ole chocolate milk. It does the body good.
or the special k drinks. here a site that has a few stuff to help you http://scoobysworkshop.com/nutrition.htm

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input guys....been working on the diet now for a few months...was actually at 328 when I first started...never have been a breakfast person, small lunch, and have a big dinner before bedtime and of course the food wasn’t the best. I took a class on nutrition/living with diabetes and learned a shitload of things that I was doing wrong. It is a good thing that I have never been a sweets eater/soda drinker because I'd probably be even more fucked up than I am now.

I can’t tell you how frustrating it is to go to multiple doctors and every one of them thinks that you sit at home all day and eat like a fat ass when it’s not even the case. So getting used to eating 5-6 times a day is taking some getting used to. Sometimes I feel like it’s too much but its working so I gotta stick with it. Just the change of eating alone has increased my energy...I don’t really know how to explain it...kind of feels like I’m more alert through the day and not so groggy in the mornings.

I know that lean/healthy proteins are very important for muscle growth and after workout recovery but I have an issue with that as well. A urine test revealed protein in my urine...doctor then had me do a 24 hr urinalysis wich showed high amounts of protein in the samples. After the weight loss the levels seemed to be in check so I think i need to be carefull on protein intake just in case i do have kidney problems. God I hope not...Any suggestions or thoughts on which direction I should go with this?

·
Reporting live from Fox 5 News
840 Posts
stick with it man, we all have complexes, i used to be a chubby kid, and went on to change my life. started running at, and doing calisthenics at 12, after a few years straightened out my diet and started wrestling and judo at 14, competed and was very successful. at age 22 started boxing and bjj, and by 24 fought my first pro mma fight. now i walk around 10-12 % body fat, work out twice a day 5 days a week and eat healthy most of the time. and even now, i sometimes feel like a fat kid trapped in a fit mans body, its a lifetime commitment and a fight, but it is totally worth it man.
i love to see a committed person, and nothing feels better than reaching your goals. so don't be shy, post your progress pics and stats, and stay true to yourself and the goal at hand, share it with more people and don't think that you're judged by the fit guys at the gym, i'm one of them and trust me, you wont get nothing but help from me..

·
Registered
40 Posts
buy one of those big ass aerobic rubber bands, wrap it around the bar and put either a knee or if its big enough a foot in it. Also keep in mind you need to do cardio AFTER you work out so that you burn off all your carbohydrate energy and burn the fat energy during the cardio session.
The bands are a good substitute for sure.

As a resident fitness nut let me be the first to say p90x or any form of calisthenics or cardio alone is not going to make you lose weight if your diet is not in order. Focus on diet first then add in exercising to achieve the goals you want (weight loss, aesthetics, strength, marathons, w/e).

Good luck and stay motivated :cheers
Agreed diet is more than half the battle. I did p90x a while back and after joined the gym and have been going religiously for 2 hours a day 5 days a week since. It's amazing the transformation you can make in a short time if you really dedicate yourself to it.

·
Constantly in trouble now
16,403 Posts
I was diagnosed Type II about 2 1/2 years ago. It really sux. My BG reading was over 300 and it scared the crap out of me.

One of the most important things I learned was that it ain't your fault: It's purely 100%, unadulterated genetics. You and I and others just got screwed in the poker game of genetics.

It just means you can't eat like you used to and you have to get out and exercise more than the average everyday human being.

Such is life, eh?

There is a discussion forum on www.diabetes.org and there are some VERY knowledgeable people on there who can help you with any issues you have including motivation and dedication.

Good luck and stay motivated
I have to agree with this. Cardio is going to help a lot at first but you will eventually need to add hard core weight training to your routine in order to see continued results. Your muscles are what burn energy and if you build up your musculature, you have more tissue burning energy for you.

Thanks for all the input guys....been working on the diet now for a few months...was actually at 328 when I first started...never have been a breakfast person, small lunch, and have a big dinner before bedtime and of course the food wasn’t the best. I took a class on nutrition/living with diabetes and learned a shitload of things that I was doing wrong. It is a good thing that I have never been a sweets eater/soda drinker because I'd probably be even more fucked up than I am now.
You MUST eat breakfast within an hour of waking in order to get an upper hand on losing weight. It's a fact that has been prove over and over again. That said, it doesn't have to be a big breakfast, either. I eat one egg and one sausage patty every morning and that's enough. I don't eat any carbs in the morning, either.

Be careful with the nutrition classes. In my opinion, they actually ask you to consume more carbs than you really need and it ends up feeding your carb addiction and cravings for starch instead of curing it.

I can’t tell you how frustrating it is to go to multiple doctors and every one of them thinks that you sit at home all day and eat like a fat ass when it’s not even the case.
Doctors will kill you. I hate 'em but there are a few good ones out there. The best thing you can do is educate yourself. Read everything you can get your hands on.

So getting used to eating 5-6 times a day is taking some getting used to. Sometimes I feel like it’s too much but its working so I gotta stick with it. Just the change of eating alone has increased my energy...I don’t really know how to explain it...kind of feels like I’m more alert through the day and not so groggy in the mornings.
I can relate. A couple of supplements which will actually help with that are vitamin D3 and chromium picolinate. The chromium helps to reduce the insulin resistance (Type II diabetes) and the vitamin D3 helps your cells to absorb nutrition and energy from your blood stream. Just try them for a bottle of pills and see how it works for you.

Other supplements help but those two are the best ones you can use.

I know that lean/healthy proteins are very important for muscle growth and after workout recovery but I have an issue with that as well. A urine test revealed protein in my urine...doctor then had me do a 24 hr urinalysis wich showed high amounts of protein in the samples. After the weight loss the levels seemed to be in check so I think i need to be carefull on protein intake just in case i do have kidney problems. God I hope not...Any suggestions or thoughts on which direction I should go with this?
It's important to realize that there are a gazillion things which could be causing this but you don't say what your BG and A1C levels are, what meds you're taking, whether or not you're having issues with ketosis, etc. It's just complicated to answer that question so in general, if I understand correctly, the reason for needing to track the protein levels is to be sure your kidneys aren't overstressed.

The shitty thing about diabetes is that yours is going to be different from mine and everyone else's out there and there are only a few points of consistency between people. Worse, what works for you today and tomorrow might stop working next year. That's why they have to keep checking all of your numbers so frequently. A real PITA.

If you have high proteins in your urinalysis, it could be caused by your meds. That would be the most likely culprit. If you're consuming less than 80 or 100 grams of protein a day, it's probably not your diet causing you issues.

My numbers may be off, though. Get on www.diabetes.org and check the discussion forums. The rest of the info on there is questionable so double check everything with the people in the forums.

Keep up the good work. You'll get there and you'll be happier and healthier for it. I just read an article a month or so ago about an 85 year-old diabetic who claimed to be as happy and healthy as anyone else on the planet. If that guy can do it so can I and more importantly, so can you, big guy!

--Wag--

·
the gun show
3,186 Posts
Good for you, keep at it no matter what. You'll find that shortly you'll be seeing some improvement and then you'll want more...and more.

For the chin ups, put a stool or chair under it. Use your legs to help you get up, then let yourself down using your arms. This is called a 'negative'. After you do it for a while, you'll be able to do some pull ups without the use of your legs. Even if you can do only a couple. The progress will increase rapidly.

Nutrition, nutrition...it's 90% of it. Right now, don't worry so much about the amount of protein. Of course you need some, but it's not that important to get an overabundance of it at this time. Remember this, you really can't gain muscle and cut fat at the same time (for the most part). You either go on a muscle building cycle, or a fat cutting cycle. Trying to do both at the same time is counter-productive. That's not to say you won't gain some lean muscle, just don't expect a lot of it on a fat reducing cycle. Also remember that for most people, your body will not grow muscle until around 4 weeks of weight training for the first time. The first 4 weeks will be optimizing the muscle that you already have.

So with that in mind, concentrate your nutrition plan around being as 'clean' as possible. This means, eat whole foods, keep away from processed foods, and try to reduce your carb intake, especially processed and simple carbs. Balance your meals with good, whole foods. Eat 5-6 small meals a day, equally spaced. The plus with doing this is it will help to regulate and balance your insulin levels. This is also why you're feeling more energetic, it's all about the insulin.

Keep it up and don't be afraid to ask for any nutrition advice.

·
Viking Fan Club Merchandise Manager
11,665 Posts
any update to this thread? i just started p90x. i was in shape already thanks to the air force's mandatory fitness lol! i enjoyed my first day of it and ready for more. im a little crazy in the head anyway and if i am not fighting for reps, its not fitness! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
15 Participants
JetBlast
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing