Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 750 25K miles on the clock, recently bought a month ago and have done all the usual maintenance, but i just noticed this...

I have this flaky white/grey chalky material all over the inside of my gas cap, and possibly inside the tank. What are the causes of this heavy oxidation and can it be fixed? Is my whole fuel system F'ed up? What are some solutions?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
07 750 25K miles on the clock, recently bought a month ago and have done all the usual maintenance, but i just noticed this...

I have this flaky white/grey chalky material all over the inside of my gas cap, and possibly inside the tank. What are the causes of this heavy oxidation and can it be fixed? Is my whole fuel system F'ed up? What are some solutions?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated!
I attached an image

Attachments

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,705 Posts
That's "rust" on zinc die casting. The bike has likely sat for some time, probably with a near empty tank, and breathing due to temperature changes has brought moisture laden air inside the tank. Humid environments like in Florida help things along. You need to get that out of there because it's next stop is your fuel filter, which is expensive to replace. There are some iriditing (chromate conversion)-type treatments that will help hold it at bay and aren't that expensive.

Definitely check out the inside of the tank.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,859 Posts
I have the same thing going on with my gas cap. Any recomendation on which treatments?
You can put in vinegar. Then you will need to coat it.

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
Having just been down this path, I'd be curious to see what the inside of the tank looks like.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,705 Posts
There are some pics of how bad the corrosion can get here. As he explains, his was so bad that the cap wouldn't open. He had to go through the fuel pump opening to remove the two screws that mount the latch to the cap body (difficult but it worked). Fortunately they weren't frozen because he then would have had to start drilling things out.

Replacing those screws with stainless wouldn't be a bad idea.

You could also contact these guys to find someone near you who could treat the latch. It's a small job and you may run into minimum charges.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts