Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are bikes ever suppose to overheat to the point they shut down? i know there is a kill temp. i was riding the other day and as soon as i come to a stop and let it idle, it would fly up in temp and die. i had to keep blipping the throttle to keep it running. riding temp=175...temp while stopped=over 130...
help!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Originally posted by wldbil1:
riding temp=175...temp while stopped=over 130...
help!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You mean over 230 while stopped? Mine gets there, too. I just turn it off in traffic like that. But I blip the throttle first, or it's a bitch to start back up.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah sorry...230
so is it normal for a bike to shut off after idling and reaching that temp? it never did that last year. and now that ive done a lot of tinkering...jets, fuel mixture, spark plugs, etc... it all of a sudden did it. i dont even know where to begin if there is something wrong. i do know that the coolant is moving after 180.

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
Mine will hit 230 in traffic all the time. I haven't ever seen it go above 231 nor shut off.
Is your fan coming on?
When is the last time you flushed your coolant?
Also try water wetter instead of standard coolant it will keep it running colder.

jontflesh

·
Registered
582 Posts
At 225 your fan turns on..thats why it jumps to 230 then starts going down..shut down temp is around 249.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, thanks for all the help. but i may have found the problem. talk about basics... stupid spark plug wire!!! went to pull the wire off the plug and the wire pulled out of the boot. so i was probably running on 3 only. hopefully that was the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts