Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i know these watercooled bikes are notorious for overheating!!! i was wonedring if there is anything you can do to prevent this????? my 750 had the fan "hardwired" with a toggle switch to prevent this! i dont know if this is the only way or not!!!???? i was looking at the fan and didnt see any wires coming out of it to see ehich wire to put the switch on!!???? i dont want the switch to be noticible so i was wondering if anyone knew the color of the fan wires in the front wiring of the bike(like by the headlight or something!! any ideas??? thanks in advance!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had my radiator off today and I found the wires from the fan coming from the top right side of my engine, directly out of the wiring harness above the valve cover. I'm not sure what color they were but Seems like they were both black, one with a maybe a yellow stripe, but not sure. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
I think it is a blue wire and a black. Thats all the thermo switch (that senses the water temp to turn the fan on) does is make a "ground" connection when the switch "turns on". I'm pretty sure I tapped the black wire and installed a single throw switch and ran a ground wire from the other terminal on the switch to the frame. Flip the switch to ON and the fan starts turning moving

I didn't do the mod when I rebuilt my bike. It seems to stay cool enough now just letting the thermo switch do it's thing. Worked fine last summer in the 100+ heat.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Yeah there was a thermostat mod to do also,whereas you drilled out the hole alittle larger.Anyone know where that mod went? My bike heats up to 210 degrees before the fan kicks on I have a digital thermometer (Micron) installed but I'm always monitoring the temp,seems they do run hot!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ive considered putting a busa radiator on.. my busa never overheats. The radiator looks a little thicker so that would give a little more volume or coolant. At least im thinkin that way.. i just have to compare both of my bikes and see if it would be an easy swap or if i have to possibly fabricate brackets..

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
Have you tried using water wetter? What I did with my fan is install an electric fan relay for a car. That way I can adjust the temperature the fan turns on at.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good idea, but i think ill just wire a toggle switch! where can i find the thermo. mod at???

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Throw that question out there oldies like Fastcat maybe gixxeracer317 or zook39 wherever he went bcjohn might know too!
start a new post!
Bobbychet

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
I would also be interested in the "thermo mod", I've notice my 1100 is running a bit hot and the weather up here isn't all that hot at the moment.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had my radiator off today and I found the wires from the fan coming from the top right side of my engine, directly out of the wiring harness above the valve cover. I'm not sure what color they were but Seems like they were both black, one with a maybe a yellow stripe, but not sure. Hope this helps.
not too much!

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
I took a look at the wiring again for the bike. If you tap the fan motor wires prior till where the plastic disconnect is then you want to tap the "Black w/ Red trace" wire to ground. If you want to tap it after the plastic disconnect then you want the "Black" wire. Do not tap the "Blue" or the "Orange w/ Yellow trace", that is the power wire. Just make the ground connection to somewhere good on the frame, say one of the radiator mounting bolts, etc. And install the switch inline the ground wire you install.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what plastic, and where does it disconnect?

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
There should be a disconnect right above spark plug wire#4 Pull the tank and trace the 2 wires leaving the radiator fan.An easy find.
Bobbychet

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats what i needed to know!!! so thats why i couldnt see the wires on the fan just by looking....they are under the tank....GOOD looking out guys!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
My therm burned out/quit functioning, so I diconected the wire. On the pigtail from the switch I crimped a female blade connector onto the hot side and just pushed it into the connector then grounded the other side of the switch. This way I didn't mangle any of the wiring in the process. Most time during continuous movement the bike stay'ed cool, but when I stopped or was crawling thru traffic I flipped it on and watched the guage go down.
You may also want to backflush your system before doing any of this and refilling with the best coolant you can buy ( you don't need much), and some of that water wetter additive too. Maybe your old stuff just isn't cutting it anymore.

By the way I'm back-trip to Florida was a success! however, expensive.

ride well
EDGE__**

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i tried wiring it with a toggle switch....the fan would come on but so would my lights on the dash!! if i turned the key on it didnt even work the fan!! i tried a few different ways to wire it but came up with the same thing each time! i wired the + on the switch to the battery____the - to the black w/red trace and the middle prong "NEUTRAL?" or whatever it was called to the positive and tried to the negative still same results! what am i doing wrong?? i can get the fan to come on but the lights stay on and when the ignition is on the switch wont turn the fan on!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tried that did nothing...when i put positive to the switch and grounded the ground it turned the fan on but lights on the dash also!

·
Registered
423 Posts
The wire going to the temp sending unit is the one that needs to be grounded. This is why the fan will run when the bike is over heated but you have taken the key out of the ignition.

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
The wire going to the temp sending unit is the one that needs to be grounded. This is why the fan will run when the bike is over heated but you have taken the key out of the ignition.
My bone stock harness will not let the fan run after I have turned the bike "off"..

1 - 20 of 71 Posts