Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 bike, bought brand new and now has about 800 km (bout 500 miles) on it and still being broken in obviously.

I'm moving up from a Yamaha R6, which was always butter smooth and completely reliable. I'm experiencing some issues on this new bike though. It seems to have a tendency to overheat very easily. For example, yesterday I was in traffic for about 1/2 hour and it totally started acting up on me. The gearbox got very sloppy, and the engine was reading 107 degrees celsius (bout 225 F). Also, the bike started acting very choppy when I let go the throttle and just moved forward under idle power.

I've ridden the Yamaha in traffic before and it never got this bad... WTF?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I live in Canada and I see 107 frequently. It's no big deal. Gixxers run a bit hotter on purpose.

Why don't you switch fuel and see if it improves in the heat? What grade of oil are you using? 10w40? Is it the stock Suzuki break in oil?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
U were on a 600, now ur on a 1000. Its damn hard to keep that engine cool, and suzuki does a damn good job at it. If u are going to be driven in traffic, wire in a fan switch, i wiered mine into the hazard switch. Keep it below 200 all day at long lights, and slow movev taffic (i live in orlando). By the way, where are u riden at.

U need to try to break free of the traffic, this bike wants to be moven to stay cool, and run at its best.

D

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
True.

Finish breaking it in. Switch to synthetic oil, and dump the stock coolant and use something like Engine Ice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in Toronto and its wasn't a particularly warm day, which is what surprised me even more...

Its not the suzuki engoine break-in oil.... why? does it have to be? man, sometimes coming on boards causes more questions than answers!

Anyhow, its good to know that the wy it felt yesterday was normal.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
How is 225 overheating? I'm sure the manual says something like 240 is when you shoudl worry. So if you're not at 240, why do you care? Do you think the bike can't handle it or something? I"ve sat in traffic on 90+F days and I think the highest I saw the temp guage go to was like 230.

No need to wire a thing to turn the fan on, the bike will turn that on itself. And if you're stuck in HEAVY traffic, the best thing you can do is just turn the bike off. You'll save gas that way too.

I'd like anyone to find me a well maintained modern bike that has EVER overheated.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
How is 225 overheating? I'm sure the manual says something like 240 is when you shoudl worry. So if you're not at 240, why do you care? Do you think the bike can't handle it or something? I"ve sat in traffic on 90+F days and I think the highest I saw the temp guage go to was like 230.

No need to wire a thing to turn the fan on, the bike will turn that on itself. And if you're stuck in HEAVY traffic, the best thing you can do is just turn the bike off. You'll save gas that way too.

I'd like anyone to find me a well maintained modern bike that has EVER overheated.
True.

The manual says the fan comes on automatically at about 220 I think, and at 240 is when to worry about overheating.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
My K3 and K5 both went to 108-109, the fan would kick in and cool right back down again. Both ran hot when they were new. Both kick ass.

The juddering clutch thing has something to do with the really tall gear and the new clutch. Mine does it too. I consider it a "quirk."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.