Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
15,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know this can vary state to state. I am in NJ. I bought a 2013 bike off a guy from PA. He had a certificate of origin for the bike from Nevada which was shipped to him in PA dated in late 2012 when he bought the bike new. It states dual sport on the COO, so not an off road only dirt bike. He never titled it but his name is on the back as the first purchaser.

Think I'll be able to title it in NJ? He offered to get the PA title if I have any problems but wanted to try myself first.

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
8,180 Posts
Yeesh, that sounds like all kinds of scary. Can't you call and ask your local dmv?

And post some details / pics of this bike, lest we find out if a mod can ban an admin.

·
Administrator
15,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeesh, that sounds like all kinds of scary. Can't you call and ask your local dmv?

And post some details / pics of this bike, lest we find out if a mod can ban an admin.
Call the nj dmv and speak to a human being? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

And there is nothing shady, the guy never titled it is all. He lives in the woods,, never needed to. Some classic car guys do this. Adds some pedigree to the car.

·
Administrator
15,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And btw, no you can't but I can :devilish:

Reactions: le skid

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,902 Posts
Is this some sort of dual sport? I used to be in NJ and there were non-DMV title places that could be helpful. Similar such places in CA have been disappointing.

·
Administrator
15,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this some sort of dual sport? I used to be in NJ and there were non-DMV title places that could be helpful. Similar such places in CA have been disappointing.
Yes, it's labeled on the coo as dual sport. And I don't remember nj ever having non dmv titling places. I know PA does but in NJ I've always had to go to the dmv.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
do any of these states involve back registration fee's? I know nevada does but its prolly PA you have to worry about, however states like cali will net let the car get registered in any other state until ALL fee's are payed...parking tickets, back registration, so greedy

I'd have him get the title and sign it over so you're not on the hook, shouldn't be for dual sport but they are mighty greedy these days..

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,902 Posts
California has an exemption for cars more than 25 years old (or something like that, I've forgotten the details). I have an old Corvette that was last registered in 1972 that qualifies. But DMV people aren't familiar with such regs so you may have to get a lawyer involved. Other states might be the same.

It's been 20 years but I remember being in a non-DMV place in Trenton. Such places may have been discontinued.

·
Super Moderator
17,369 Posts
Yes, it's labeled on the coo as dual sport. And I don't remember nj ever having non dmv titling places. I know PA does but in NJ I've always had to go to the dmv.
Have him get the Pa title, it'll make your life much easier.

·
Administrator
15,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do any of these states involve back registration fee's? I know nevada does but its prolly PA you have to worry about, however states like cali will net let the car get registered in any other state until ALL fee's are payed...parking tickets, back registration, so greedy

I'd have him get the title and sign it over so you're not on the hook, shouldn't be for dual sport but they are mighty greedy these days..
Nj does not have that.

·
Administrator
15,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not directly from an
I found that too.. It's not directly from an out of country manufacturer. It's from a dealer in Nevada with the guy's name on the back as a purchaser.

I spoke to the guy and he's going to get the PA title. Was just curious if I could do it myself since it's the first time dealing with a COO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts