Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever use this stuff? it says it works for motorcycle chains...:dunno

I ran out of the stuff i normally use, and this is all they had in my area.

1,931 Posts
Ive used that but a bit different one on suspension parts for my car. It worked fine.

·
Constantly in trouble now
16,403 Posts
I love the Liquid Wrench basic silicon lube. I don't care for their chain lube, though. Flings too much.

Use this instead:

--Wag--

·
Nazi Lustful Faggot - hot for Hermann Göring & Cai
3,250 Posts
heavyweight motor oil (or transmission oil)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
^^ I exclusively used gear oil (applied with a paint brush) on a chain once and it looked healthier and seemed to work very well. Up until I wrecked the bike anyway.

·
16,403 Posts
heavyweight motor oil (or transmission oil)
That works too. Even some old used motor oil will service a chain just fine. Don't use too much but reapply every couple hundred miles. Fly-off is terrible, though, which is a compelling reason NOT to use it on a regular basis.

--Wag--

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
^^ I exclusively used gear oil (applied with a paint brush) on a chain once and it looked healthier and seemed to work very well. Up until I wrecked the bike anyway.
Motor oil is whats recommend in my owners manual, I rarely use chain lube, 10/40 is mainly what i use on my bikes or you could use the oil thats is supplied for these automatic chain oiling devices, if there set right, there is little "fling".

Little and often after every ride is the key..and wipe an oily rag over the side plates to stop them rusting.

Attachments

·
16,403 Posts
Do NOT use diesel fuel. Use Kerosene.

That said, nothing wrong with WD-40. As PP said, very expensive.

--Wag--

·
Douchebag with false sense of racial superiority
2,124 Posts

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Do NOT use diesel fuel. Use Kerosene.

That said, nothing wrong with WD-40. As PP said, very expensive.

--Wag--
You do know that kerosene is also known as #1 diesel fuel right?

#2 diesel fuel is what's used in vehicles.

Some difference between the two are:
- kero has little to no paraffin while diesel has more. Hence diesel tends to gel up during the winter. Diesel winter blend is #2 diesel fuel mixed with ~30% kerosene
- kero < diesel in BTU ratings

So its perfectly fine to use diesel fuel to clean chain as substitute to kerosene. Just spray degreaser on it after as it leaves a lube coating behind like WD-40.

In actuality, diesel is better to use as cleaner for chains than WD-40 as wd40 has a penetrating attribute. Which means it will penetrate into the rollers and clean out the lube inside. Wd40 is good to prevent rust on the chains.

I rather use diesel as its cheaper and more easily available than wd40.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
16,403 Posts
You do know that kerosene is also known as #1 diesel fuel right?

#2 diesel fuel is what's used in vehicles.

Some difference between the two are:
- kero has little to no paraffin while diesel has more. Hence diesel tends to gel up during the winter. Diesel winter blend is #2 diesel fuel mixed with ~30% kerosene
- kero < diesel in BTU ratings

So its perfectly fine to use diesel fuel to clean chain as substitute to kerosene. Just spray degreaser on it after as it leaves a lube coating behind like WD-40.

In actuality, diesel is better to use as cleaner for chains than WD-40 as wd40 has a penetrating attribute. Which means it will penetrate into the rollers and clean out the lube inside. Wd40 is good to prevent rust on the chains.

I rather use diesel as its cheaper and more easily available than wd40.
Dammit. You had to go and teach me something new today. I need to learn to clear out the old school crap before I flap my jaws. But I probably never will. Years ago, an old-timer told me that diesel is more flammable than kerosene and to only use kerosene on chains.

:chucks

As for the WD-40, the seals on chains will keep the WD-40 out and it won't actually get in there. I don't use it, actually, but I know plenty of people (not old-timers :lmao) who use it and never have issues with it.

:dunno

--Wag--

·
Douchebag with false sense of racial superiority
2,124 Posts
fuggin old timers always confusing the less-old timers

·
Nazi Lustful Faggot - hot for Hermann Göring & Cai
3,250 Posts
That works too. Even some old used motor oil will service a chain just fine. Don't use too much but reapply every couple hundred miles. Fly-off is terrible, though, which is a compelling reason NOT to use it on a regular basis.

--Wag--
It doesn't fly off that bad if you thoroughly wipe the chain after you lube it. And the best thing about using motor/transmission oil is that you can simply wipe oil spatter with a rag w/o using any solvent.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts