Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. I'm moving from BC to ottawa in a few months. Not sure if I should move to the ontario or the quebec side.

What am I looking at for insurance on my gixxer 750? (06). I don't need exact numbers, just a ball park figure. I currently have roadstar level 1 with ICBC. (43% discount) and have been driving cars for over 10 years and bike licence for about 5-6. (I'm over 30 and male)

·
Addicted to Track
1,474 Posts
Ontario ... I would guess in the Just north of a grand a year (depending on coverage)

Quebec - I heard something about a recent change .. they are trying to almost ban sportbikes by charging a lot for the licence sticker renewal. If I find more I will post.

If you are paying less than that ... then see if you can keep a residence there and keep your BC plate on. Not sure how legal it is ...but I know someone who does that for Alberta and lives in Ontario. Insurance sucks here.

I pay about $1100 for a 07 Gixxer 1000, 36 yrs, clean record. Riding/licenced for 20 years but insured for about 10

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2009/05/24/quebec-motorbike-ban-cp.html

http://www.osrclub.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=26027.0

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hahah.. well.. I'll be around soon enough.. and with the weather out there.. (and that stupid snow tire laws) not like there will be anything else to do till march.. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Definitely the Ontario side...I'm in Ottawa, beautiful city. And Quebec insurance rates have skyrocketed for sportbikes, which is why you see so many of them up for sale across the river.

I'm paying ~ $900 for my '09 750, M license since 1989, but continous bike insurance for the last 2 years.

·
Fabulous Fashion Fag
602 Posts
I'm 21 and I got a quote for my gixxer 600 in ontario through state farm and a couple others.. and it was around 8200$ for a year for 2nd year rider.. SUCKS ASS.. there just mad that they can't wheelie!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey guys.. I'm moving from BC to ottawa in a few months. Not sure if I should move to the ontario or the quebec side.

What am I looking at for insurance on my gixxer 750? (06). I don't need exact numbers, just a ball park figure. I currently have roadstar level 1 with ICBC. (43% discount) and have been driving cars for over 10 years and bike licence for about 5-6. (I'm over 30 and male)
First of all, DON"T DO IT! I moved here from Victoria and can't wait to move back.

That being said, welcome to the area! :biggrin

Insurance being private out here varies greatly from company to company. I had ridiculous quotes on my bikes and decent ones (I won't say fair, no insurance company is fair). I'm covered now through State Farm. They weren't the lowest quote but I've heard great things about State Farm when it comes time to make a claim. The cheaper places, Jevco for one, will try to screw you to lessen the cash outlay from their coffers every time. You'll hear many horror stories. Anyway...

Good luck with the move, and don't unpack until you've experienced at least one bad Ontario winter. :thumbup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well.. I'm here in Gatineau.. Ended up on this side instead of ottawa cause the house was cheaper..

2006 gsxr 750.. 1416 for plate for the year.. and 690 bux for insurance.. About the same as it cost me in BC.. except I don't get the 43% discount I had there..

oh well..

I did notice tires were a lot cheaper here.. guess it's cause you only use the middle section.. :p

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nah dude, there are some great twisties up in the Gatineau hills...and Calabogie ain't that far away for track days.

I don't understand the way that plate fees work in Quebec. I know that insurance rates are supposed to be cheaper but I'm not paying that much more than you for insurance and my plate sticker was ~$120 for 2 years!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey guys!

I am in Ottawa as well :)

Maybe we should all get together and go for a ridey?
It is so hard to find people to ride with . Most bikes i see in Ottawa are just sitting beside Wendy's and shooting shit.
While that might be cool for 5 to 10 minutes , it gets boring pretty quick.
Anybody up for a ride?
Gatneau park is getting crazy, RCMP pulled me over twice so far for no reason (i got warned by other motorists of a speed trap) and told me they have zero tollerance for this year regarding speeding in the park.

Vanya

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah, I got pulled over by the RCMP coming out of the hills two weeks ago... something about 82/60. Amazingly he let us go... seems they are taking a no tolerance stance.

Too bad a lot the cyclists are riding 3-4 wide, taking up the whole road and not obeying the laws and rulles that apply to them either... I wonder why so many are getting hit by cars...

& I agree, hanging around and not riding is not my idea of a night out with the bike. I can't even stand being near my bike without wanting to jump on and pound the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts