Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, today I started open carrying. I did a search and didn't see anything. If any of you open carry, what holster do you use? I'm scared mine is going to fall off while riding.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Anyone want to do a trackday or go camping?
39,561 Posts
i wasn't talking about it going off either. Landing on it would be a bitch. Also falling and losing it. I'm sure that after a crash the last thing on your mind would be making sure that you still have your weapon. Specially if you hit your head.

·
Premium Member
17,232 Posts
The clip is full, but the chamber is empty. Not worried about it going off or anything. My holster is also a composite holster with a lock and trigger guard.

Going off isn't the concern.. a steel object attached to your hip on a vulnerable commonly hit spot is. That being said..On the bike I carry it either inside my jacket in front of the armor, in my camelback on the outside, or in the tail.

Sent from my DROID4

·
Premium Member
17,232 Posts
Going off isn't the concern.. a steel object attached to your hip on a vulnerable commonly hit impact spot is. That being said..On the bike I carry it either inside my jacket in front of the armor, in my camelback on the outside, or in the tail..usually inside the jacket..... And I keep one chambered because every second might just matter.

Sent from my DROID4

Sent from my DROID4

·
Frame Slider Tester
1,873 Posts
If you get a good level III holster then it should not come out. And they should lock onto your belt. But face it. ... The last thing you should do when riding is affix a hard metal object to your hips.

If you want to carry get a shoulder holster. Yes it's conceiled but it's also safer.

Also sport bike riders already have a bad image from the public and get messed with by cops. Let's see how your experiment works out for you.

And before you go off about your rights. .... I believe in the right. I have fought for this country and have lost friends to combat. I'm not an anti gun nut. I just believe in common sense.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't want to get caught concealing before I get my permit. I don't always carry, especially on my bike. I generally keep it in my truck. But their are situations that I would prefer to have my gun on me. Cops don't bother us for open carrying here.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ok, today I started open carrying. I did a search and didn't see anything. If any of you open carry, what holster do you use? I'm scared mine is going to fall off while riding.
i've read discussions about open-carry while riding a motorcycle and the consensus is this: if you're on or in a motor vehicle, it is no longer considered open carry. hope you either have a concealed pistol license or a good lawyer.

i got my CPL back in march and have been carrying concealed ever since.

laws in your state may be different, so make sure you educate yourself because there are people out there with hard-ons for those who wish to exercise their rights by carrying firearms. it seems that some go out of their way to persecute us.

as far as holsters, i have the paddle holster that came with my springfield xdm .40 that i can use to open carry (even tho it's for a righty and i'm a lefty) and i was able to find a blackhawk IWB holster that works pretty good for concealed carry, but with a 5.25" barrel, it takes awhile to get used-to.

good luck...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
120 Posts
i wasn't talking about it going off either. Landing on it would be a bitch. Also falling and losing it. I'm sure that after a crash the last thing on your mind would be making sure that you still have your weapon. Specially if you hit your head.
I had a crash in 07, and my glock 17 slid, banged and did whatever else while I went flying around. State troopers found it and gave it to my commander at the hospital. Had a round chambered (always) and the only damage was some scratches and the mag came out! Baby still shot straight! Quialfied with it at least 4 more times before moving to a 19. Glock has a drop safety so that's why it didn't discharge. Also,I keep my weapon shoved down my pants. So unless you go down I doubt you'll drop or lose your weapon.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also have a glock 19. It's on a paddle holster. I guess I should talk to law enforcement about carrying on my bike. Not sure why not. It's no issue to carry in your truck. I was always told your vehicle is an extension of your home.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I also have a glock 19. It's on a paddle holster. I guess I should talk to law enforcement about carrying on my bike. Not sure why not. It's no issue to carry in your truck. I was always told your vehicle is an extension of your home.
well, i'm in michigan, and the "rules" are thus:

you can have a handgun in your car without a CPL under the following conditions; it's unloaded, locked, in the trunk (or otherwise unreachable part of the car from the occupants) with the cartridges in a separate container and you're either going to or coming from a range or gunsmith. you can't just keep it there to use it "whenever".

all that goes out the window if you possess a CPL.

yes, different states will have different rules. just make sure you're aware of your local laws. i want as many responsible people carrying weapons as possible to help deter those who aren't from violent crime...

s3aturnr

·
Frame Slider Tester
1,873 Posts
That's a black Hawk level II paddle holster. That will work. I've got one for my M&P.

Make sure you install the little clips that secure the holster into your belt. Obviously install them so they grab your belt. It should take 2 hands to spread the paddle away from your waist to get it off. You can also adjust the angle of the holster on the paddle so you can wear it forward or rearward on your hip.

Also the screw under the safety catch is a friction adjustment. Make it as tight as possible while you can still draw the weapon safely.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
11 Participants
tlee2989
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing