Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one more thing\\wheelie wire

I know that one of you guys knows the answer to this it is to show a friend of mine , on my bike (like you don't know 1992GSXR1100),
Where is the wheelie wire and what color is it, I think it is yellow?
Thanks Guys,
Karl

Oh yeah in un gixxer related news ,
I think am am going to propsoe to my Girlfriend on Saturday, I have the ring and have a whole thing planned,'course you Know how much stuff I could have gotten for my bike for what this diamond cost

kidding i can't live with out here either

------------------

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: one more thing\\wheelie wire

I meant "HER" NOT "HERE", I am tired of typing i wish is was riding....

------------------

·
Registered
288 Posts

I'm curious about this wheelie wire too. What years did it come on and how exactly does it work?

------------------

Youth and talent are no match for age and treachery!

·
Registered
301 Posts

I heard the wheelie wire is only on the watercooled 1100,does your 1100 not stand up under power?
My 1100 comes up at about 7000rpm under power but since I had my swingarm shortened it comes up alot earlier.
but your 1100's only has 36mm carbs over there dont they?
ours have 40mm over here.

p.s.
good luck with your girlfriend.

------------------

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

My gixxer stands up around 3500-5000 under power I have 38mm carbs, and the wheelie wire is a first gear retard,and it should be on all gixxers untill-95-96, however I know thatb someone here wil know the location, Where is Jeff???

don't brake untill you see god

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts

i was under the impression that only the watercooled 1100's had it, but i could be wrong about that.

i think the color of the wire has changed over the years, it's probably either pink or black/red. it should be a single wire by itself going to the ecu, on the left side of the bike.

if you find the wire, snip it and you should immediately be able to notice a difference in first gear. if you don't notice a difference, it's probably the wrong wire and you should reconnect it.

btw, 38mm slingshots never came on 1100's, if you've got them, they were fitted by a previous owner (from the 750). u.s. spec 11's only came with 36mm carbs from 89 on, whereas european and canadian 11's had 36's from 89 to 90, and then 40's from 91 on.

------------------

[This message has been edited by jeff (edited 03-22-2001).]

·
Registered
301 Posts

what are you talking about then?if your bike stands up under power it hasn't got the wheelie wire.

------------------

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Okay my bike has the wheelie wire, and It was cut, I had some wiring replaced andwant to make sure it still is cut, before I continue with my project.

------------------

·
Registered
448 Posts

Hey KJ1,

I also have a 92 1100. Where and what color is that infamous wheelie wire?

Thanks

------------------
Formula956
[email protected]
formula956.gixxer.com

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Okay from what I was told and this corresponds with what Jeff says the wire is some where on the left side and it is ussally alone near the ecu and it is either white or yellow, however it can some time be up toward the front of the bike.
Please becareful as this was what I wa stold by where I got my bike from I am not an Expert in this situation and I bib oyu to ask technician who is familar with our year bikes

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts

any idea if my 90' has it???? i checked the wiring diagram in the manual and i couldn't find it, but then again i'm not an electrical genius either. anyone with a 90' that has found/cut the wire?

------------------

1990 gsx-r 750
my first ride

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts

There is no 'wheelie' wire on any oil cooled GSXRs, ie 1992 and earlier.

All GSXR1100s that are water cooled have the 'wheelie wire' in their loom, but only the black boxes for USA, Switzerland and France actually use it.

Don't know what you've cut there on a 92 1100, but would suggest checking the wiring diagram in the shop manual and maybe hooking it back up.

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts

correct! oil pumpin gixxers have no wheelie wire. the first time i heard of the wire was in 95 when one of the magazines tested the 95 1100 with the wire in tact, and then after it had been cut. the magazine made it sound like only the 95 came with the wheelie wire (and all 1100's built after 95). my 89 1100k has no such wire, nor did my old 92 750. not sure about the earlier model water pumpers (93-94)
RIDE ON!!

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts

Sorry, but you are severely mistaken!
I owned a 1992 GSXR1100 and it most definately retards the timing in first gear. I have argued this point with tons of people over the years.
Remove the seat, look for a "two wire connector". (I don't remember the the colors anymore) Simply unplug the connector, next turn the ignition on and put the bike in gear, if the nuetral light stays on you unplugged the correct one, If not then try a different connector until you get the right one. Take it for a ride, it should stand right up in first very easily.
Once you have determined that you have disabled the retard you can either just leave the connector unplugged, or snip one of the wires (experiment here.) One wire is for the neutral light the other is for the retard.
Trust me this works, it's usually worth a couple of tenths in the quarter mile.

------------------

·
Premium Member
364 Posts

Yeah, I thought only the waterpumpers have the wheelie wire. I disconnected mine. It was the pink wire going to the stock ignition box. You shouldn't cut it though. You can pull the metal connector out of the plastic housing with a small screwdriver. Then tape it up and if you want to reconnect it it's easy.

------------------
95 GSXR1100W
41 Keihin flatslides with K&N's, 1147 12:1 piston kit, Dyna 2000, Yosh Stainless Race only RS-3, 750 oil pan and oil cooler, Orient Express 4 spring clutch conversion, Back cut trans, Factory Pro shift kit, Pingle guzzler, Braided lines, Ape head studs

Soon to be installed:
Orient Express springs, Web cams

·
Registered
389 Posts

Ive never heard of a timing retarder on a oil cooler. I also didnt think that the gps on a oil cooler can count gears.

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts

The "gear position sensor" doesn't count gears to best of my knowledge. The neutral switch only knows if the tranny is in neutral or not. The retard switch/ device only knows if it's first or not. They just happen to be on the same connector, so if you unplug the whole connector, the neutral light will stay on.

------------------

·
Registered
389 Posts

101301 <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by katywompus:
The "gear position sensor" doesn't count gears to best of my knowledge. The neutral switch only knows if the tranny is in neutral or not. The retard switch/ device only knows if it's first or not. They just happen to be on the same connector, so if you unplug the whole connector, the neutral light will stay on.
So where is the 1st gear counter?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

1 - 20 of 24 Posts