Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody interested in an 86 750 motor with connecting rods sticking out both sides of the cases?
Cheap. It's really air cooled now! I guess I shouldn't complain too much since it had almost 90,000 miles on it but I just spent a bunch of money on cartridge forks and 17 inch wheels.....ain't life a bitch

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Sounds like its time to stuff a 1100 engine in there! There was someone looking for clutch parts in a earlier post if you want to sell some.
Bones

·
3,476 Posts
Is 90,000 miles a reasonable lifespan for these engines? Can't ask much more than that! It does still suck that you don't have a bike though. There was a guy parting a 88/1100 with a 20,000 mile motor in the for sale section. Not sure if he still has it but, as bones suggested, that would be a nice upgrade.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure that 90,000 miles was actually more than I had the right to expect, especially since it's been ridden hard and was raced off and on for a couple years. I've been meaning to yank the motor apart and rebuild the bottom end butt...you know how those things go. The odd thing was that it wasn't making any noise before it let go.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Originally posted by Homey:
I'm sure that 90,000 miles was actually more than I had the right to expect, especially since it's been ridden hard and was raced off and on for a couple years. I've been meaning to yank the motor apart and rebuild the bottom end butt...you know how those things go. The odd thing was that it wasn't making any noise before it let go.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So the formula for getting 90,000+ miles out of my gixxer motor is ...

1-ride it hard...I can do that
2-start taking it to the track...I can do that too
3-rebuild it around 89,000 miles

I've "only" got 26,000 miles on my motor (before the new top end)...I'm curious about your motor. What were you doing to it during it's last moments?

RIP 750 motor.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Originally posted by Homey:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">homey,

I have an 1988 750 motor that you can put right in there and continue on, I am trying to get 88/1100's 1100 motor, so, this would be perfect for you. I also have some 88 750 cases, I believe and a 88 750 cylinder head,if you need anything like that.

You let me know when you decide.

Sorry to hear about your motor, bro, but 90,000 miles, there are soem cars that don't get that type of mileage out of them.

LATER

JDB1371

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was passing a truck on HWY101 comming into San Luis Obispo (CA) when it exploded. I pulled in the clutch right away (two stroke experience)and looked down at the oil and pieces of metal on my boot. It was similar to an experience I had a Riverside Raceway (I'm giving away my age)when my FJ600 poped out of 6th gear while running 500rpm past red-line. I hate oil on my boots!

I put a surplus superbike head that I gotten from Yoshimira on it a while back (at about 70,000miles) and didn't do the bottom end when I did that. What a bone-head thing to do.
You'd think I'd know better. That's what I get for being lazy. If I do that again, somebody slap me.
I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, I'm going to have to think about it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You are not alone homey? I had the same thing about 5 weeks ago(86 750). Number 1 rod went near the small end & "chainsawed" a hole through the case & sent peices through the roof of the box. Yes oil on the boots too. Anyway I was only doing around 100mph in 4th gear. I had only had the bike 2 weeks. It had 62000kms on the clock. There were no warning signs as far as noises or anything goes. It was the first hard ride I'd given it but I don't think I over-revved it.
People I talked to said these engines are near bullet proof. maybe I shoul've shot it instead of riding it & it would still be ok.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At least I have the comfort of having owned mine since 1986, I would be really bummed if I only owned it for a week! Especially with only 38,000miles on it. I think I got my money's worth!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts