Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wiped out the front at a roundabout a week ago, decent damage on the right side, luckily nothing structural

Insurance is full coverage, so I'm putting her back together as before

Now, I also need a new pipe
I love that little short Tri-Oval, but alas, they're pretty rare by now (especially the carbon ver.) , so I'm guessing I need to broaden my horizon a little

The newest models don't really appeal to me, I'm looking at the
TRC
-Still sort of able to find specifically for K5
-Removable baffle?

R-77d
-Needs different midpipe since never released for K5
-No baffle possible (unless jury-rigged in the midpipe)

Oddly enough, I like the looks of the R-77d more than the regular R-77, But the TRC more than the TRC-D

Anyone know, any pro's/con's of either?

· Registered
GSX-R750
441 Posts
Hmm, for what it's worth, I went with the Yoshi TRS on my K4 750. Albeit maybe a bit different, but I liked that they still made the pipe, and I was too prideful to get a used one, so I bought a new one. If you're looking for an older RS3 (I think?) you may have to look a bit longer.

I got the stainless TRS can, and it actually came with the baffle, but I had bought one separate so now I have two baffles. Anyway, I am very happy with the power, sound, and fit of the TRS. With baffle in, it's perfect for my commuting and daily cruising, and baffle out it's just loud enough to have a bit more fun and make a hair more power. I got my bike dyno'd as well.

Only thing is yeah, I think the TRS looks a wee bit funky with the triangle shape and the way it sits, but only from certain angles. Worth the purchase, maybe I wish it was more oval in nature but I forget once I am enjoying the sound and ride. Feels good to polish it up once a month or so too after a wash.

-Mike

· You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
11,117 Posts
I don't know what you see in the R77d vs the R77 but suit yourself. The R77 fits fine per this. The pic in the lead post is gone but I reposted it in #15. Except for the unobtainable race-only R77's, all Yosh mufflers back then had a 2¼" inlet and would mate with the same midpipe. I used the 14" shell version, which is standard for 1000's. But Thomas used the 12" shell version that's for 600/750 and dual exhaust systems (hence his strap running over the badge). Also I used the CF strap instead of the standard steel strap. Finally the 1116-435 midpipe seems to have disappeared from ebay. I never did sort out what is the correct Yosh spring pn.

· Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, for what it's worth, I went with the Yoshi TRS on my K4 750. Albeit maybe a bit different, but I liked that they still made the pipe, and I was too prideful to get a used one, so I bought a new one. If you're looking for an older RS3 (I think?) you may have to look a bit longer.

I got the stainless TRS can, and it actually came with the baffle, but I had bought one separate so now I have two baffles. Anyway, I am very happy with the power, sound, and fit of the TRS. With baffle in, it's perfect for my commuting and daily cruising, and baffle out it's just loud enough to have a bit more fun and make a hair more power. I got my bike dyno'd as well.

Only thing is yeah, I think the TRS looks a wee bit funky with the triangle shape and the way it sits, but only from certain angles. Worth the purchase, maybe I wish it was more oval in nature but I forget once I am enjoying the sound and ride. Feels good to polish it up once a month or so too after a wash.

-Mike
Nah, if I can't find a Short Carbon Tri Oval, I'll most probably be aiming for the TRC or R77d
RS 3 is even older and I would find that more fitting on an SRAD

I don't know what you see in the R77d vs the R77 but suit yourself. The R77 fits fine per this. The pic in the lead post is gone but I reposted it in #15. Except for the unobtainable race-only R77's, all Yosh mufflers back then had a 2¼" inlet and would mate with the same midpipe. I used the 14" shell version, which is standard for 1000's. But Thomas used the 12" shell version that's for 600/750 and dual exhaust systems (hence his strap running over the badge). Also I used the CF strap instead of the standard steel strap. Finally the 1116-435 midpipe seems to have disappeared from ebay. I never did sort out what is the correct Yosh spring pn.
Yes I saw the thread with your info, thanks for that (though in worst case scenario, I have contacts able to weld SS)

And I guess I am a bit funky in my tastes, I mean, I had the Micron Whaledick on my 750 K6 and nobody knew why I adorned a burgundy/black bike with blue accents

Though that last part was Suzuki's fault, because they used blue anodized fittings for preload and compression
I mean: which designer was hitting the Sake too hard when he thought this was a good idea ➡
Saw Motor vehicle Automotive tire Abrasive saw Automotive design

· Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW @BillV
Might one of these springs be correct:

· You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
11,117 Posts
^One of those is correct but I never determined what the listed length is. It might be the distance inside the hooks when not stretched but I wish they said as much. My R77 fits so snugly onto the midpipe that there wasn't any compelling reason to get a second spring. It's been 10 years but I seem to recall that my earlier KR Tuned slip-on only used one spring and that's what I used.

The blue on your 750 doesn't bother me but I don't see the whole bike. I didn't like the black front fender on mine and painted it pearl deep blue to match the tank. It's subtle enough that no one has ever noticed.

· Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ah, you mist drive on the wrong side of the road where you ride... "damage on right side" here if you go down on a roundy its the left side they run anti clockwise..
Ah

No, I didn't get confused in direction, roundbouts go Counter Clockwise here as well
but just prior to going CC, you're still gonna make a right turn entering the roundabout
It was there the car before me decided to brake AGAIN, because apparently empty roundabouts are scary, nothing might come and it it might just not lead to an accident
Cold tires (Irony: first winter in 18 years I wasn't on sports tires, but Pilot Roads), slight lean angle, there she went

1 - 13 of 13 Posts