Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about a week or two away from buying a brand-new bike. I have been riding a 87 Yamaha Radian 600 for about 3 years and I am now wanting something new. I am trying to decide between a new Suzuki SV650S and the GSX-R600. I would like something that I could take to track days . I hear that there is an SV race class here... and of course the Gixxer is born for the track.

Could you guys pro/con the 2 bikes against each other for me?

· Registered
924 Posts
Tough decision...really. Both are great bikes for street and track. The only con on the SV may be you might want more hp in the higher RPMs that the Gixxer six will have. Can't really think of any other for either bike-both great bikes, I'd be happy with both. Oh, insurance should be less for the SV.

· Registered
334 Posts
If you want fast go Gixxer..

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote. If you can take a test ride on both of them then make your decision. Or do what I did and get one of each.

[/QUOTE]

Ok ... as a guy that has both. How would you describe the difference between the two bikes?

· Registered
4,786 Posts
Night and day difference. The SV has a lot of torque down low and gets up to speed quickly, whereas the Gix needs to be wound out to experience all of it's power. Much more "useable" power for the street with the SV....no matter what gear she pulls. Power dies at top end of the rpm band on the SV, whereas the Gix is just starting to wake up a 10k. The suspension is tighter on the Gix, but with a few upgrades the SV can more than handle itself. Both are very flicable bikes. Braking is better on the Gix, but again you can make some upgrades to the SV to make it better. The SV ergos are more upright allowing a more comfortable ride, though I hardly ever get uncomfortable on the Gix even on longer rides.

Overall, for me personally, the Gix is a smoother ride. Even my wife says the Gix is a lot easier to ride for her. But no matter how much I ride the Gix, everytime I ride the SV I have a huge smile on my face when I get off her.

Really just depends on what type of riding you prefer, but both are more than capable of satisfying your needs regardless for normal everyday street riding.

· Registered
334 Posts
Sounds like the Gixxer to me..

· Registered
6,380 Posts

· Registered
334 Posts
I would like to know what way you are thinking after all this...

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well ... I am going to go to the dealership and test ride both.

I am leaning heavily towards the Gixxer at the moment based on my research. It will take the test ride to determine which one will give me the most grins

· Registered
4,421 Posts
Well ... I am going to go to the dealership and test ride both.

I am leaning heavily towards the Gixxer at the moment based on my research. It will take the test ride to determine which one will give me the most grins
You have a dealer that allows "Test Rides"...??????? Most dealers don't.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.