Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide aginst a 98 suzuki gsx-r600 and a 03 to 04 suzuki SV650.
I like the look of the SV650 but don't like that it only has 73.5 horsepower at the most, I am look for a bike to keep for awhile. I am worry about getting a 98 suzuki gsx-r600 because it a older bike and people have told me alot of bad story about older bikes. The frist bike I ever saw and fell in love with is the 98 (body style) gsx-r. alot of people tell me the SV650 is a girly bike and not to buy it but I worry the gsx-r will me too much power for me because this is only my 2st bike. I also worry that the SV650 will be too slow of a bike and ill get board of it really fast, please help.... if you have any story about owning a older used bike? or story about rideing a SV650 vs a gsx-r600?

·
Registered
119 Posts
The SV might be a slower bike but it's sill a good bike and quite tuneable. Big bores etc etc.
Go for the SV. There's nothing worse than having a bike you're scared to use!!!!

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Well, I have both a '99 SV650S and a '98 GSX-R600 and I'd take the SV for street riding any day
It's characteristics are better for that, IMHO - you don't need top end as much as low and mid-range power on the street. Plus I've been riding for about 8 years and haven't gotten bored with the SV...

The GSX-R is a great track bike, OTOH

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
i agree with svs.. i have an srad and have ridden many sv's. more times then not i would lean towards the sv.. something about a vtwin makes me smile

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, Im impressed that so many of you would take the Svs over the gsx-r 600. I thought you guys would have pick the gsx-r 600. Wow Im also impressed that youv'e rode for 8 years and still arn't board of the bike. Do you ever have problem keep up with other 6000s when rideing in a group? Im not really worrryed about the horsepower just more worry about going from my old bike ( 2004 GS500) with a smoth powerband to a bike that the powerband kick in at high RPMs. How is the powerband on the 98 to 99 gsx-r600? dose it kick in hard? Has anyone here went from a gs500 to a Gsx-r600 here? how was it?

·
Registered
970 Posts
alot of people tell me the SV650 is a girly bike and not to buy it
I'm with SVS on this one.

If those people had to beat every girl on a SV650 at a track day before buying a 600, a lot less 600's would be sold. If they had to beat everybody on a SV650 at a track day, almost no 600's would sell. The people telling you that are all pose. If you want to look cool at Starbucks, get some nice leathers and buy a R1, they're very pretty bikes. Don't let anyone see you actually ride it though.

I used to race Hawks and have a street bike cobbled together from the old race bits. The motor makes about what a stock carbed SV makes. The FI SV makes significantly more power. I've street tested and dynod both SVs. The worked suspension on the Hawk is better than a stock SV, but nothing the SV couldn't be made into for cheap. Mid sized V twins with sticky tires are basically bikes you never grow out of.

When you gain some experience, and you want to make the best impression on a new group of riding buddies, you'll show up on the SV in a slightly damaged Aerostich or set of leathers, and a top of the line helmet in plain black or white. The more experienced members of the group will be watching you out of the corners of their eyes because they've met people like you before and wished they hadn't shot off their mouths before the ride. Basically, it comes down to do you want to be the target or be the one having the most fun?

Until you get that experience, you'll go faster more comfortably on the SV.

The SV may not have the top speed of a GSXR, but 9 out of 10 GSXR riders are pure pose and wouldn't go over 100 mph unless you pushed them out of an airplane. The SV will easily clear 100 mph, and thats more than enough to get your license lifted for a very long time.

The first track day you go to, you'll really see what I mean. An old SRAD would make an awesome track day bike after you decide you like track days, and this is likely. So is crashing if you go to the track regularly, which is why you don't bring a really nice bike.

I also own a very fast '96 GSXR750 and an '01 GSXR1K. They are never ridden on the street and have cost much more on the track.

And never mind you could ride a SV on the highway comfortably a hell of a lot farther than any GSXR ever built.

Buy a bike you'll enjoy, and you'll enjoy it a long time. Fuck what the little people think.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Has anyone here went from a gs500 to a Gsx-r600 here? how was it?
Not to be rude, but GS500s are 80's vintage junk and Suzuki should be ashamed to sell them.

The SV is much much more bike.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dear Mr, MrMW
That might be true but I think it would help the sport alot more if kids that haven't rode a street bike get on a gs500 then any gsx-r, becouse we have dumb A$$ kids out there getting on gsx-r and crashing them in the street and making us biker look very bad. so would you reather have a dumb a$$ kid ridding a gsx-r and crashing so the news people can say "look at those dumb bike out there crashing and endangering us driver on the road". I think I did the right thing buying the Gs500, Iv'e seen too many dumb kids crashing here and on Tv. sorry if I sound like a jurk I don't mean too but I just don't like people asking me un why didn't you just buy a 600

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also Im sorry if it dosen't sound like Im listen but I just don't see how a bike that a V twin and only has 73.5 horsepowe can keep you intrested for awhile? How is the bike on the street dose it feel kind of under power and your alway changeing gear to keep it intresting? I really like how it looks I just worryed of out growing it. I am really surprissed how many of you Gsx-r 600 people ride the Sv650. why don't you guys like the Gsx-r 600 on the street? whats the Gsx-r 600 missing? why isn't the Gsx-r a good street bike? sorry if youv'e already explaned this and Im having you repeat yourself, Im just intrested see what you all say. sorry if it sould like im not listen, I am I just don't understand why you pick the sv650 over the gsx-r 600

·
Registered
50 Posts
well i am new to the whole bike world this is my first year driving and i got a 97 gsxr 600 for my first bike. it is alot of bike but u just have to understand that.
ive never been on a Sv i think u should go for the 600

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Wow, Im impressed that so many of you would take the Svs over the gsx-r 600. I thought you guys would have pick the gsx-r 600. Wow Im also impressed that youv'e rode for 8 years and still arn't board of the bike. Do you ever have problem keep up with other 6000s when rideing in a group?
Don't ride in groups but the only place the SV would fall somewhat behind is on straights - doesn't matter whether you have 70hp, 120hp or 180hp - you CAN'T utilize it all in a corner on a public road anyway...

A couple of weeks ago, I was at the track for three days riding my GSX-R. My wife rode the SV there so I took it for a spin on day three just for the hell of it. My lap times weren't that much off with the SV and that was on street tires (Metzeler Sportecs) while I have slicks and Öhlins suspension on the GSX-R. Had I been on street tires and stock suspension on that, it would have been even closer as they would have carried about the same corner speed. I actually passed a couple of 600s and a 750 on the SV in corners - on the outside
And this was in the fast group so they weren't exactly noobs...

Getting a nice lean on street tires (don't try this in public, though)
:

As to the "frequent gear shifting" you ask about further down - you'll shift much more on the GSX-R because the usable powerband is much narrower than the SV's

·
Registered
100 Posts
I own a 99 gsxr600. I love it. BUT.....in reality its not a friendly street bike, especially in slower traffic. It feels a fraction high geared and its hard to ride really smooth at low rev ranges, mine kinda surges a bit type feeling. I don't know, I always find myself in traffic where first gear is too low and second gear too high. The bike (set at factory suspension settings etc) seems to give quite a bumpy ride. The last time I did a reasonable trip on my bike on rough roads I was literally swearing at my bike as i watched a guy in front of me on an old school CBR (eg 1992 model) eating the bumps whereas my bike was hitting them hard, me hunting for lines through the bumps while he putters straight through them at the same speed without evening unweighting his butt! where as i'm just about off my bike (using my legs as suspension). It was making me cry. On attempting to set my suspension softer (this event really made me seriously look at my setup), i felt the bike wallowed/flexed and didn't give me th same confidence I usually have when laying it into a corner. I'd argue comfortability and rideablity is whats making the SV the street bike choice. When i do occasionally find near perfect roads/freeways etc the bike feels like a dream and makes me feel happy about it again......

As I state all of this I wonder if my suspension needs rebuilding or something
. Maybe i'm unlucky for various reasons and other gixxer owners may be happy?

I wouldn't worry about the gsxr's power delivery, this was my first "bigger" bike -- i originally came off little ZXR250C bikes and its one of those things, you control the throttle and therefore you work your way up as your confidence grows.
If you just gave it a handful in a low gear you could flip it I guess but unless you act aggressive, it won't be agressive back at ya

The first day I got it i'm doing the typical "I nearly fell off the back of it" type feeling....hadn't felt acceleration like that before.....and within a month its fine. On perfect roads, the gsxr will be more fun then the SV, but on roads with dodgy surfaces or surfaces far from optimal, i'd say the SV would be 10 times better/more comfortable. That also translates to potentially a faster ride --i know an SV would beat me on rough roads hands down because all i'm worrying about is avoiding bumps and pain
Hell I notice car drivers even catch up with me on rough road.....now that sucks...

I can't tell you how many tank slappers (i don't have a steering dampner) and "ball rackings" i've had from the bike. I still love it though and I focus more on sorting my own faults in riding syle that i'm aware of. I tell people the bike is well and truly more capable then my own skillset so until that changes, theres no point in me getting a bigger capacity bike etc.

I've never riden a SV myself, but most owners i've talked to say they love em.

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also Im sorry if it dosen't sound like Im listen but I just don't see how a bike that a V twin and only has 73.5 horsepowe can keep you intrested for awhile? How is the bike on the street dose it feel kind of under power and your alway changeing gear to keep it intresting? I really like how it looks I just worryed of out growing it. I am really surprissed how many of you Gsx-r 600 people ride the Sv650. why don't you guys like the Gsx-r 600 on the street? whats the Gsx-r 600 missing? why isn't the Gsx-r a good street bike? sorry if youv'e already explaned this and Im having you repeat yourself, Im just intrested see what you all say. sorry if it sould like im not listen, I am I just don't understand why you pick the sv650 over the gsx-r 600
The GSXR wont make over 70hp untill you get to 10000 rpm. the SV will do it at 6000. The SV is a blast on the road, power delivery is easier to use and you will apreciate the mid range drive out of corners on the SV. Go and test ride them both. Let us know which you prefer...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts