Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for 1 A cam top, 2 Cs and 1 D. And a question ... since my head is bare, can I fit cam tops from other heads, or do I need to line-bore the head and tops together? Either way, if you'd dig in your parts boxes to help me out!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I just had to fix a stripped cam top on my bike, so I learned the they are milled on the head. Because of this they are matched to that specific head and are not interchangable.

New Head: $950

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yeah, suzuki doesn't sell them separately...

it's doable, though......what's important are the bearing clearances. if they're within spec with the replacement caps, you'll be okay.....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know it's a pain, but it's better than replacing the head. Plus, a friend of mine's a machinist and will just do it for me just to see if it will work. But I can't find anyone who has any left over from a crappy messed up head.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
i guess it's worth a shot if you have a friend that will do it for you...you can probably find a used head out there somewhere for a decent price if it doesn't work out for you...what is it 1100 or 750?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's an '88 750. It's starting to matter less to me, since I bought a low-mileage '88 Katana 750 motor on Ebay for $250.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
the katana 750 debuted as an '89 model.....

however, the motor is essentially a detuned '88 gsxr750 motor, so it'll be good for parts, at the very least.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oops, you're right. '89 Katana, 4500 miles on the motor. Even if it's all rusted up inside, it's still a good deal for all the parts. I was ready to buy a complete head from somebody for $180 right before I found this!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts