Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys and Gals of the Gixxer750 forum. I just joined and wanted to make my first appearance. I’m pushing 60 years old, and this summer I bought what I consider to be my first serious sportbike. I rode my first dirt bike about 1972, but after one of my sisters crashed it ( we had to share everything in my family) my mother deemed any form of motorized 2 wheeler as “death machines” and it was sold. But we had a M/C club a few blocks from my home, and knew I was gonna get one of those bikes when I could. I moved out of my house before I finished high school, so as soon as I turned 18 I started looking for a bike. But I was working, and paying college tuition, and that kept me from actually buying a bike till the summer before I turned 20.
My first bike was a used and abused 1970 Yamaha XS650, stripped down and painted flat black. It helped me to start learn how to ride on the street, work on my own bike, and inspire me to get into the bike scene, much to the chagrin of my parents.
My Yamaha trans lost 1st gear 2 years after I got it, and when I priced the parts, and considered the work required, I leaned it against my shed, and bought a 1970 900 Sportster in milk crates instead. My roommate had a beautiful ‘69 Sporty, and we spent most of the summer putting mine back together. I will never forget the hassles of assembling, then disassembling the trans 3 times. Learning how to get the charging system to work, have all the lights to work, and kicking it to life. Going for that first ride where I rode away, and actually park it where I parked it and not push it to my slot in the garage.
I joined a club, and bought Harley’s while my old classmates laughed at me for “being an old Effer” when we met and they were on their “Japanese appliances”!!!
I was still kicking my Harley’s till 1991, and going backwards in time, riding rigid frames and getting into the aftermarket to make my bikes more old school, with a focus on more performance.
My collection grew. I added a chopped Sportster, then got a 1979 1/2 Harley Lowrider with 14” apehangers, and started doing some touring. Soon found style over function was not going to cut it. So I put the stock flat bars clamped to the triple tree, the way it came from the factory, and never looked back.
A guy saw my bike, and he WANTED it. I had converted the brakes to the beefier FLH style, rebuilt the motor for more power, laid out a lacquered multi layer ghost flame paint job a friend did the paint on, made my own leather seat with matching flame, and bags with a friend of mine who could use an industrial sewing machine and rode it from my home near Chicago, to Little Rock, then to San Diego, up the coast to L.A., went skiing in my leathers with friends who lived at 10,000 feet on the western slope of the Rockies, and back home from February to April in 1990. The price got to where I sold it.
My last Harley was a rigid chopped 1948 special construction “Frankenstein” 90” S&S motor, 8 over Wide Glide. It had screws in the rear rim sides to keep the wheel from spinning quick enough to rip out air filler valve and leave me with a flat tire on my third shakedown run.
Then things changed.
Summer of 1991, I got rear ended at high speed in my work truck, and sort of folded my left knee backwards enough to oil can my kneecap, shatter some cartilage and tear some ligaments. I was off work for 1 and a half year, and my kicking days were over.
I still was not ready for any water cooled bike, and decided to buy a 1977 BMW R100/7. Really liked it, and met a guy who led me on the path to where I am now. He owned a M/C shop, and had used to race bikes for years till he got married, had kids, and started his shop.
2004, my only bad bike crash. Got into a head on with a car on my Beemer, and walked away with only a groove cut in my right thigh as the handle bar end scooped out the skin. But I was not wearing any gear, ever, except solid boots and good gloves. My leather was in my saddlebag.
I had just gotten married (only one), and had my 2nd child on the way.
Went right out and bought a 1978 BMW R100S, and a helmet, proper armored jacket, and wore them, ALL THE TIME. Still do to this day, and have only bought better gear as I get older.
Then, I saw it. The first “sport oriented” bike I had ever seen that called to me. First owner bought it and sank a lot of money in it to get a “bullet”, but got a damn hard pulling freight train, so he sold it and bought something else. His loss, my gain.
The 2004 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans Nero Corsa. Only 50 came to the USA. Full Ohlins front and back. An actual fairing, low handle bars, lovely black with checker board graphics. And most importantly, it had been totally gone over by Fast by Ferrari, with all the GO FAST parts that that shop had designed for that specific motor. More torquey Cam. Heads done by the WSBK Ducati head expert. Carbon fiber slip ones. Put in a Power Commander, and Eraldo Ferrari dyno tuned the bike himself. An increase of almost 20% HP. It sounded like a highly tuned small block V8. Non bike people stopped me to say how GLORIOUS it sounded. A cop stopped me for my “brisk pace”, talked bikes and told me to slow down...
And life happens. Rode it in the snow, commuted 3/4 of the year. I loved this bike.
But I had two kids. My wife got sick. I am A RIDER who had a bike where any needed
part could take weeks to get here from Italy, on a boat. And then they were pricey. I had a Ferrari, but as a family man, it was no longer logical as a rider. So I sold it, but what now?
My friend, the shop owner, keep smiling and saying, “Dude, just get a Japanese bike, you are a closet squid, and I know you. You are a Kaw guy. Period” so I did.
As a long miler, I wanted a bike to fit my needs, and bought a 2003 ZZR1200.
And the doors to bike heaven swung wide. Rode the heck out of it for several years.
Then I got cancer. Like “You’re gonna die pretty soon” cancer, and could not ride because of chemo, and being all effed up.
I wanted it rode while I was down. My neighbor and friend used to have a Honda Blackhawk so I asked him to take it out every now and then, and then he got back into bikes and started bugging me to sell it to him. I was 52.
Now, I am not just doing better, but sort of kicking ass. But it also led to the end of 25 years with my wife. I wanted to chase a long held dream.
So I sold my bud my Kaw, and bought my Gixxer this summer, at 57. The older I get, the faster I get.
My search for an actual focused sport bike led me to an obvious choice. So I searched, and pulled the trigger, and now I arrive here, because I bought the quintisenntial squid missle.
I am the proud owner of a 20th anniversary 2005 Suzuki GSXR750. Pretty stock, but has a Power Commander and Yosh pipe. Less than 12,000 miles on it, shows signs of a tip over but is really nice looking. I put sliders back on it, ditched the blue seats for a black front, bought the missing rear seat cover/fairing, and have put over 2000 miles on in the last 4 months. Bought a spare set of wheels, sourced a trailer, and bought new Alpinestars SMX vented boots (just riding? Damn they are so comfortable I almost live in them!) and a full one piece race suit and gauntlets from a couple guys who dreamed but never pulled the trigger. I am finally going to Blackhawk Farms, and Road America for my first track time in my life next spring. I am JACKED.
Also, just bought my first Harley in years, a 2004 Softtail, because I have not found ANY age appropriate chicks who will ride with me on my gixxer, go figure...
Sorry for the length. Old guys have long stories. But it’s good to be here, thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
man, welcome, quite the story, that moto guzzi is a nice bike, not sure how a guy gets rid of one of those? sorry bout the wife thing, that's a long time invested, and then cancer, sounds like your up and atom now, go easy, no record you can break cannot be broken by another..

I've met 78 yr olds on Hayabusas still touring all over the place, rode plenty with a 76 yr old and he was fast too.. thousand miles away I think bout him time to time...

go easy, find joy on the straight from apex to brake marker and go easy in corners, a high side or hard low side can take another year to heal up..

that's a good bike, I test rode one and almost got one, I had two good ones already K3 1k and an 02 Busa.. garage was tight but I remember the steering was like a scalpel and it had good acceleration to boot.. I'd own one today for sure...

rubber down, bubble up...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome, and advice.
The cancer prognosis WAS “incurable and terminal” with 100 years of American Cancer Assoc. statistics giving 5 years average, 10 years max. IF you are in 1st. stage. I was found in 3/4th stage. 10 years for me is just under 2 years from today.
BUT.... I was the very first person in the entire Midwest to receive the 1st and ONLY new drug ever invented for my specific disease, and have been in remission about a year now.
God, great doctors, science and booze fixes everything.
And now, I try to never let the shit that used to matter even register. All I had to do at all my treatments was look left, and then right, to see no matter how bad I was doing, someone else WAS WORSE. I watched people die all around me. I’ve had a real bad luck run for a few years now, and now I KNOW I can whip ANYTHINGS ass, and have very little to fear after all this.
It has been very liberating to see what you can beat when the shit hits the fan.
And I know just little hurts take longer to go away at my age, so plan on being VERY COOL for my first track days. It is not a RACE, it will be me learning more about riding, learning the track, how to ride on the track. I just figure ONE speeder around here will cost MORE than all my gear, membership and track fees will run for safer fun doing my favorite thing in the world for me.
I have HEARD these bikes are very quick from ZERO to an indicated 140, not that I have ever done that on all the brand new blacktopped lonely country roads 15 minutes away from my house, he he.....and the driftless area of the Mississippi River around Iowa, Illinois is the best riding around, and starts 2 hours from me. Man, I dig riding!

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
I love riding too and I prolly couldn't tell you why?

anyways Elkhart is a gonna be hoot with a 4000' plus straight you will be able to reach top speed and hang on for a few seconds, WOW, lucky you! blackhawk might be half that long if your lucky, you might touch 6 for split second if you get good 2nd gear drive off t7.. fun all the same but Elkhart? yup it's like that, don't forget to pack a lunch... (y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I immediately thought R.A. because it is “The Cathedral of Speed”....
But as I’ve talked to a few guys who have done both, they all agreed I should do Blackhawk because it will be more challenging exactly because until you learn HOW to ride on an actual track you don’t really spend much, if any time, WFO in 6th, and will make you learn all aspects of track riding.
And I MUST DO Road America, because...it is the Cathedral of Speed. 😈🏍🤩

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love riding too and I prolly couldn't tell you why?
Best I can offer is....Balance, in motion, at speed, with shit flying by as you immerse yourself in the moment with all senses engaged, with actual “skin in the game”, is infinitely more exhilarating than sitting in the middle of a ‘effin little red wagon, with the windows rolled up as you simply pass through time and space, unengaged.
But your results may vary...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
One more little note,
A couple friends and myself hold a land speed record on the Salt Flats for about 10 years now.
Every year or so I salt my grilled steak with seasoning scraped from inside the rear fender...
All I did was help build, and machine parts. Just sayin’...
Hope that’s not construed as jacking my number of inputs to gain interneck points. If so, whack my peepee at your will and leisure, Moderators....

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,438 Posts
Welcome. My first bike was a 1963 XLCH (883 cc). Congrats on a record. I was just at Bonneville for the first time where I was a gofer for someone who blew both front tires at 400 MPH and lived to tell the tale. It seems that it's where old drag racers go when their reaction time goes to hell. And yes, the salt gets all over everything. I brought back a chunk for my niece, thinking that she'd show it to her college mates/profs. But the last I heard it was being used as some sort of beauty treatment (arrgh!).

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
One more little note,
A couple friends and myself hold a land speed record on the Salt Flats for about 10 years now.
Every year or so I salt my grilled steak with seasoning scraped from inside the rear fender...
All I did was help build, and machine parts. Just sayin’...
Hope that’s not construed as jacking my number of inputs to gain interneck points. If so, whack my peepee at your will and leisure, Moderators....

nope, speed is everything, the faster you ever go the better rider you will become and I will tell you why I think this..

the more speed you can handle and react to, become relaxed and comfortable with, heart rate normal all that will make the corners seem slow making you more relaxed and confident in them with the nerve to push it even more, the goal IMHO on any wheeled sport is to get to the point you can identify the threshold of control vs loss of and tricking your mind into believing hey 120 around this corner is nothing I just came off a 225 MPH straight and waited till the very last nanosecond to brake then tip into it, this corner is nuttin...

I honestly believe that's why they put long straights in road courses, so LSR is HUGE in this role IMHO, its loose, you have to be super smooth everywhere and then you get to condition yourself to increased speeds, only problem is 95 MPH down the freeway is like being in a parking lot, think about it, 250-300 mph on the salt for maybe 8 miles means you actually get to think about things while your moving along after you done shifting and just holding on..

honestly, I say everyone riding a bike should have to do 250mph on the salt for 50 miles at a time, so every rider must visit bolivia and hit their salt flats, 4000 square miles of it, 100 times larger than Bonneville, so that's an easy 100 miles you could just hang on flat out, or run out of fuel first.. groomed perfect.. this way riders will know speed and be able to handle speeds in most all situations.. maybe do this once or twice a year.. plus it be a hoot! I fookin love speed, time stands still..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys and Gals of the Gixxer750 forum. I just joined and wanted to make my first appearance. I’m pushing 60 years old, and this summer I bought what I consider to be my first serious sportbike. I rode my first dirt bike about 1972, but after one of my sisters crashed it ( we had to share everything in my family) my mother deemed any form of motorized 2 wheeler as “death machines” and it was sold. But we had a M/C club a few blocks from my home, and knew I was gonna get one of those bikes when I could. I moved out of my house before I finished high school, so as soon as I turned 18 I started looking for a bike. But I was working, and paying college tuition, and that kept me from actually buying a bike till the summer before I turned 20.
My first bike was a used and abused 1970 Yamaha XS650, stripped down and painted flat black. It helped me to start learn how to ride on the street, work on my own bike, and inspire me to get into the bike scene, much to the chagrin of my parents.
My Yamaha trans lost 1st gear 2 years after I got it, and when I priced the parts, and considered the work required, I leaned it against my shed, and bought a 1970 900 Sportster in milk crates instead. My roommate had a beautiful ‘69 Sporty, and we spent most of the summer putting mine back together. I will never forget the hassles of assembling, then disassembling the trans 3 times. Learning how to get the charging system to work, have all the lights to work, and kicking it to life. Going for that first ride where I rode away, and actually park it where I parked it and not push it to my slot in the garage.
I joined a club, and bought Harley’s while my old classmates laughed at me for “being an old Effer” when we met and they were on their “Japanese appliances”!!!
I was still kicking my Harley’s till 1991, and going backwards in time, riding rigid frames and getting into the aftermarket to make my bikes more old school, with a focus on more performance.
My collection grew. I added a chopped Sportster, then got a 1979 1/2 Harley Lowrider with 14” apehangers, and started doing some touring. Soon found style over function was not going to cut it. So I put the stock flat bars clamped to the triple tree, the way it came from the factory, and never looked back.
A guy saw my bike, and he WANTED it. I had converted the brakes to the beefier FLH style, rebuilt the motor for more power, laid out a lacquered multi layer ghost flame paint job a friend did the paint on, made my own leather seat with matching flame, and bags with a friend of mine who could use an industrial sewing machine and rode it from my home near Chicago, to Little Rock, then to San Diego, up the coast to L.A., went skiing in my leathers with friends who lived at 10,000 feet on the western slope of the Rockies, and back home from February to April in 1990. The price got to where I sold it.
My last Harley was a rigid chopped 1948 special construction “Frankenstein” 90” S&S motor, 8 over Wide Glide. It had screws in the rear rim sides to keep the wheel from spinning quick enough to rip out air filler valve and leave me with a flat tire on my third shakedown run.
Then things changed.
Summer of 1991, I got rear ended at high speed in my work truck, and sort of folded my left knee backwards enough to oil can my kneecap, shatter some cartilage and tear some ligaments. I was off work for 1 and a half year, and my kicking days were over.
I still was not ready for any water cooled bike, and decided to buy a 1977 BMW R100/7. Really liked it, and met a guy who led me on the path to where I am now. He owned a M/C shop, and had used to race bikes for years till he got married, had kids, and started his shop.
2004, my only bad bike crash. Got into a head on with a car on my Beemer, and walked away with only a groove cut in my right thigh as the handle bar end scooped out the skin. But I was not wearing any gear, ever, except solid boots and good gloves. My leather was in my saddlebag.
I had just gotten married (only one), and had my 2nd child on the way.
Went right out and bought a 1978 BMW R100S, and a helmet, proper armored jacket, and wore them, ALL THE TIME. Still do to this day, and have only bought better gear as I get older.
Then, I saw it. The first “sport oriented” bike I had ever seen that called to me. First owner bought it and sank a lot of money in it to get a “bullet”, but got a damn hard pulling freight train, so he sold it and bought something else. His loss, my gain.
The 2004 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans Nero Corsa. Only 50 came to the USA. Full Ohlins front and back. An actual fairing, low handle bars, lovely black with checker board graphics. And most importantly, it had been totally gone over by Fast by Ferrari, with all the GO FAST parts that that shop had designed for that specific motor. More torquey Cam. Heads done by the WSBK Ducati head expert. Carbon fiber slip ones. Put in a Power Commander, and Eraldo Ferrari dyno tuned the bike himself. An increase of almost 20% HP. It sounded like a highly tuned small block V8. Non bike people stopped me to say how GLORIOUS it sounded. A cop stopped me for my “brisk pace”, talked bikes and told me to slow down...
And life happens. Rode it in the snow, commuted 3/4 of the year. I loved this bike.
But I had two kids. My wife got sick. I am A RIDER who had a bike where any needed
part could take weeks to get here from Italy, on a boat. And then they were pricey. I had a Ferrari, but as a family man, it was no longer logical as a rider. So I sold it, but what now?
My friend, the shop owner, keep smiling and saying, “Dude, just get a Japanese bike, you are a closet squid, and I know you. You are a Kaw guy. Period” so I did.
As a long miler, I wanted a bike to fit my needs, and bought a 2003 ZZR1200.
And the doors to bike heaven swung wide. Rode the heck out of it for several years.
Then I got cancer. Like “You’re gonna die pretty soon” cancer, and could not ride because of chemo, and being all effed up.
I wanted it rode while I was down. My neighbor and friend used to have a Honda Blackhawk so I asked him to take it out every now and then, and then he got back into bikes and started bugging me to sell it to him. I was 52.
Now, I am not just doing better, but sort of kicking ass. But it also led to the end of 25 years with my wife. I wanted to chase a long held dream.
So I sold my bud my Kaw, and bought my Gixxer this summer, at 57. The older I get, the faster I get.
My search for an actual focused sport bike led me to an obvious choice. So I searched, and pulled the trigger, and now I arrive here, because I bought the quintisenntial squid missle.
I am the proud owner of a 20th anniversary 2005 Suzuki GSXR750. Pretty stock, but has a Power Commander and Yosh pipe. Less than 12,000 miles on it, shows signs of a tip over but is really nice looking. I put sliders back on it, ditched the blue seats for a black front, bought the missing rear seat cover/fairing, and have put over 2000 miles on in the last 4 months. Bought a spare set of wheels, sourced a trailer, and bought new Alpinestars SMX vented boots (just riding? Damn they are so comfortable I almost live in them!) and a full one piece race suit and gauntlets from a couple guys who dreamed but never pulled the trigger. I am finally going to Blackhawk Farms, and Road America for my first track time in my life next spring. I am JACKED.
Also, just bought my first Harley in years, a 2004 Softtail, because I have not found ANY age appropriate chicks who will ride with me on my gixxer, go figure...
Sorry for the length. Old guys have long stories. But it’s good to be here, thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts