Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I throw the term old out there lightly as it's not all that old however I'm still unsure on this.

I have been given a yamaha xj900 diversion which has been stood for 5-7 years.

So I'm going to get it up and running and use it as a work mule for a year or so.

I presume oil/filter, fuel flush, spark plugs, tyres, brakes are a must to replace and clean the carbs. Is there anything else I should be looking at doing??

Cheers in advance!

English friend
Shaun

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
Use the search function, this has been discussed.

Replace spark plugs, fuel, oil, brake fluid, and coolant (if it has a cooling system)

Inspect/replace brake pads, tires, brake/head/blinker lights, Wheel bearings, and fork seals.

Along with cleaning the carbs, inspect throttle cables, clutch cable, and fuel lines.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A good buddy of mine has a XJ900 and he loves it! They are bullet proof. Best bet is to pull the carbs and and clean them... Then from there check you intake boots and and air box for cracks or damage. Replace anything that is pretty dry rotted. Fork seals are a big thing to go on these old bike for the forks were almost always to thin for the application and dry seals plus working thin bendy forks= blown seals fast. You will spend a good chunk to get a bike like that up to snuff, do note that. Also replace all the fluids... Ensure your calipers are not seized. The tires will more then likely need to be replaced but a good cheap set of tubeless shinko's will only set you back $150 top (and yes they are way better then what came on the bike 30 years ago). Depends on your budget but that bike will never die, the shaft drive is awesome...
Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts