Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, since my motor is fizucked and i'm not gonna pay the 1300+ (could still be more) and have the dealership just replace all the cam shit and then tell me i'm gonna need more work, so my question is, anyone out there that has rebuilt a motor for a 98 GSXR600 have any places where I can get performance parts for cheap? Any suggestions as to how to "tackle" this job? I'm going to order the service manual tonight, and my mechanice friend (works for dodge) said he would help me since he's used to workin on motors. The goal is to put performance parts in there and ride it around and then sell it MAYBE. Depends on how spiffy it is
But i've got a headache from talkin to Suzuki today, so I think all dealerships can kiss my ass.

--
Corey

·
Bearded Admin call him Grizzly
88,756 Posts
performance parts for cheap ya right if you find this gold mine let me know. www.orientexpress.com has almost all the internal parts for almost any bike out there

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate it, any idea where I can get the service manual for my bike? 98 GSXR600?

--
Corey

·
88,756 Posts
the only place i know to buy them is the suzuki dealers. try Chip at Ron Ayers motorsports he is one of the site sponsors

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dood at the dealership where I took my bike, said that the Manual CCT's are pieces of shit, ,cause he saw the one on my bike, what do you think of when you hear that?

--
Corey

·
88,756 Posts
i think that he doesnt know what the fuck he is talking about. he was probably trying to get you to buy a new stock tensioner. i'd take it somewhere else

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Too late, i'm gonna just buy the service manual, drop the motor, leave the bike in my friends garage (Since I don't have one) and just rebuild the motor in my living room, and do it p iece by piece, and clean everything and do it right

[ 10-26-2002, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: CoreyAtWork ]

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
sounds like a good plan, i always thought of doing it as well on my 750, no real reason other then to refreshen the motor and replace cam guides/chain.. but i might be selling soon.. i will only do it if i keep the bike longer..

·
Registered
751 Posts
There is a guy who sells manuals on the web for $30 any bike, i got one, its a suzuki one , bootleg.

Contact Yoshi, they don't have the parts in the catalog anylonger but they are still available. I spoke with a rep two weeks back. He said if I was serious the parts are available still that they used on the bike when they raced it.

??????? Why not just buy a 97, 99, or 2000 moto and put it in your bike. The 98 was a problem child and down on power. You can get a motor with next to no miles on it for around $500 on ebay all day long.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
or maybe you can purchase a 750 motor you will still be in 600 category in insurance and also would not have to mod as much since you are looking for upgrades by the time you price the bearings(if you are doing a total rebuild) you may change your mind as well as other stuff and also you can still have your 600 motor to do what ever turn it into a coffe table grab some thick azzz glass throw on top of it

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, do you know off the top of your head about the 98 750 motors, would that be a good choice, cause there's the gentleman on here selling a complete motor for a 98 750 and asking like 1500 with like 14000 miles on it, but he said he would come down. Or in fact what motors will just bolt right in? I heard someone say that the 96-2000 600 & 750s almost have no differences between them... So if I do end up goin with a different motor regardless i'll have to make sure it comes with the wiring harness and whatnot,correct?

--
Corey

[ 10-27-2002, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: CoreyAtWork ]

·
Registered
982 Posts
It might be easier to get a 96-97 750 motor since it is carbureted. Parts might be more transferable from your bike, and their probably isn't as many that you need in the first place. Ask "pimpin my gixxer" he did a 600 to 750 conversion. He did the forks and swingarm too, so it is basically a 750 now. The 97 motor I think is the only SRAD that didn't have some kind of recall on it too, although I could be wrong. The carbureted actually made a tad more power also.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the first thing to do is pull the motor and open it up and find out what's wrong with it, perhaps it's just a matter of changing 1 valve and whatnot.. in that case, wouldn't be that much money.. so i'll do that, and go from there, thanks for the help peeps. I'll keep you updated.

--
Corey

·
Registered
982 Posts
Not a typo... The 96 and 97s were carbureted. 98 and 99s were fuel injected. All the 600s 97-2000 were all carbureted. 96s had a recall dealing with the head gasket and head clearances. 98s I believe had the fuel pump gasket recall. THe 99s had the famous Cam CHain Tensioner recall.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea, the fuel pump gasket hasn't been done on mine yet, but sure enough, without fail, Discount Auto parts had some shit I used on it to seal it
for a 1.99 heh.

--
Corey

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
96-97 or 96-99? Just makin sure if you had made a typo or whatnot, cause I usually see "96-99", no offense, just wanna make sure I look for the right thing..

--
Corey

1 - 16 of 16 Posts