Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the drain and fill plug from my k4 600 this weekend after warming it up, and nothing came out. Maybe an ounce. What gives? I poked a clean screwdriver in the drain to see if it was blocked somehow, but nothing even on the end. Yes, it has oil in it because the sight glass is right where it should be. Ideas? Yes I pulled the correct drain plug, the one with a crush washer on it and only logical bolt under there.

Thanks in advance

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,092 Posts
Does the oil level on the gauge glass drop when the engine is running? Maybe the glass is stained and looks like there's oil in there.

Pour some oil in the oil fill hole and see if it runs out the drain hole.

·
I dont love OG's cack anymore
1,590 Posts
If the drain hole is not blocked then there is no real reason why oil would not be able to leave through the drain.

So +1 to no oil, stained glasses or dirty glasses are quite common... who did the oil last? Is the underbelly full of oil? Was the drain tight?

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
If you took the drain plug off AND poked a screwdriver inside the pan to see if something was perhaps blocking the oil from draining and no oil came out then there is no oil in the pan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Previous owner had the oil changed last.
The sight glass is clear when the bike is on the kick stand, and oil rises up into the sight glass when I stand it up straight.
I have not taken the oil filter off yet.

It would appear that there would be no oil in it, and there are no leaks. How would it even run with no oil?? I will try to pour some new oil in and see if it comes out... thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Take a picture of the plug you removed. Also a picture of the site glass.

Only two things I can think of. One you don't have the oil drain plug out or two somehow the clutch cover gasket is holding oil near the site glass (wrong gasket)

If it has been running this way long you likely have severe engine damage

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Btw this is one of many reasons why any bike purchased should have all fluids and consumables checked /changes

·
Registered
55 Posts
Also remove the fill plug, maybe there's some sort of air pressure issue where the oil is thick and won't drain without the pressure in the system being relieved from the other side.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
He said he removed the filler. The filler could slow it down but not stop it from draining

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
:shifty

Interested to see what happens. My vote goes to no oil.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm going to do an oil change soon, this will be my first with this bike since I got it. Hope I don't run into an issue like this?!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Pick the bike up and shake it a bunch, maybe the oil is afraid of the light and wants to stay in the dark.. ;-))
Never heard of this happening??

PS: low tire pressure, maybe, nope, didnt think so, just a thought??
Maybe it is car oil and is embarrassed to come out??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:sadSoooooooo..... ahem...

Turns out theres more than one plug on my oil pan. Oil drained just fine once I found the one on the bottom of the pan. The bolt I originally took out was on the kickstand side, on the very bottom of the oil pan. Oil change successful...

:banghead

I'm still not sure why that side plug is there. It is certainly the oil pan and it has a crush washer like a drain plug, is it there to drain the difference of oil if you over fill? That would explain why such a tiny amount came out the first time.

Go ahead, let the comments rip.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts