Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for being a noob, but I have a question about oil.

I have been told by a buddy with an R6 just to go pick up some Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W-40 to use, hes been riding his bike for over three years, so I just assumed he was right.

Was told by another person that I needed to use 'motorcycle' oil, such as yamalube because your not suppose to use energy saving oils on a bike.

Someone give me a head's up please!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I would'nt use a car specific oil in my bikes weather it is energy conserving or not. Car oils are lacking by regulation the chemicals we need the most for our bikes like zinc.
Most diesel oils are well suited to motorcycle engines and wet clutches.
Or use a motorcycle oil rated jaso ma to be safe.

·
Registered
610 Posts
AJ, take it from me. I used Mobil 1 10W30 car oil. (Energy conserving) It fried my clutch becasue the oil was too slippery and too thin. The clutch slipped too much and damaged it. I was talking to a Suzuki mechanic the other day. Suzuki tells his dealership NEVER to use synthetic oil in Suzuki Motorcycles. I know plenty of guys that do, however if you do be on the safe side and use motorcycle oil. The are formulatetd for wet clutches. Don't risk it, buy the motorcycle oil!!!!!

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
I used plain old Valvoline 10W40 for my first 3 oil changes. Now it's Motul 5100 10W40 semi-synth. It seems like the gearbox is a little smoother with the Motul. It wasn't that terribly expensive, I'd say it's worth it now that I'm not changing my oil every few hundred miles.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
you are correct his friend is probably talking about the motorcycle specific oil. mobil 1 makes one for bikes, i think it's mx4t or something. i have some in the garage. i used it on my svs and now i'm going to start using it in the gixxer after running the regular suzuki oil for about 7500 miles. i like the mobil 1, i actually thought i could notice a difference in how the bike behaved; but i'm sure there are people who will tell you that's all in my head.. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.