Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 08 gsxr 1000 I drag race a couple of saturdays out the month but I ride nearly everyday chicago weather permitted of course but I want to know is what oil is best for my bike some say lucas some say royal purple can somebody give me some insight

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
104 Posts
They say to try and stick with what you started running the bike with. Ive heard of guys using diesel oil and saying it works wonders. Im still looking into it but for half price of all other brands and your get 4x the amount for the same price could be a solid option.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I've used cheapo Castrol MC oil in every bike I've owned and had no problems, despite drag racing the shyt out of them and touring all over hell's 1/2 acre.

I use 2X 10W40 and one of 20W50. This is my mix I used in my old air-cooled FJ1200 days and I've stuck with it, primarily because of the DR. Every engine on every bike I have sold has gone out of my care with engine specs perfectly in range and happy.

Don't overthink it.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
Moved to the proper sub forum

Anyone who tells you to use Royal Purple run the opposite direction full speed.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Any of the quality brands is fine as long as you change regularly. Daily rider and weekend drag warrior needs fresh oil more often than one that just does touring duty. I have tried many different brands over the years and always come back to Amsoil.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Moved to the proper sub forum

Anyone who tells you to use Royal Purple run the opposite direction full speed.
Really? I run Royal Purple exclusively in all my bikes, never had a single engine failure, unlike a few other people I know.

:nono

:shifty

*coughcough*youandbob*

I have run Royal Purple Max Cycle full synthetic in every bike I have owned since 2003. My K3 1000 had over 50k miles on it, and made the same hp when I sold it as it did when I first got it tuned. My K6 1000 which served street and track duty also had Royal Purple in it its entire life. My K6 600 race bike also had Royal Purple in it.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
Yup, in the overall picture of things you'll find a larger contingent that won't touch Royal Purple compared to those singing its praises. You'll find horror stories out there that they were able to actually attribute failures to Royal Purple.

Having said that, In regards to my engine going boom (can't say for Bob's) oil didn't have much of anything to do with it. In fact when I tore the motor down the whole engine overall looked great with very little signs of wear. In my particular case the keeper groove at the top of one of the intake valves wore over time (the valves in the GSXRs are a rather less than durable titanium not steel) and eventually the keeper popped out of the groove and the valve started tap-dancing on top of the piston. No oil would have helped that situation. Bike had 6100 race and track miles at that point, things wear out.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Yup, in the overall picture of things you'll find a larger contingent that won't touch Royal Purple compared to those singing its praises. You'll find horror stories out there that they were able to actually attribute failures to Royal Purple.

Having said that, In regards to my engine going boom (can't say for Bob's) oil didn't have much of anything to do with it. In fact when I tore the motor down the whole engine overall looked great with very little signs of wear. In my particular case the keeper groove at the top of one of the intake valves wore over time (the valves in the GSXRs are a rather less than durable titanium not steel) and eventually the keeper popped out of the groove and the valve started tap-dancing on top of the piston. No oil would have helped that situation. Bike had 6100 race and track miles at that point, things wear out.

Post up some please, about motorcycle oil specifically. I have never heard of their motorcycle oil causing an issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts