Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oil pressure indicator won\'t go out

Help!!!!!

Just changed the oil and filter in my '02 Gsxr1000 and now the oil pressure indicator light will NOT go out!!!!! Let the bike idle for a minute or so and it is still on. Oil level is fine, tested the oil pressure switch by grounding the wire lead to the engine and it seems to be fine. Indicator does not flicker like it mentions in the owner's manual, just stays on constantly. Switched back to the old oil filter and no such luck. Any ideas????

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Re: oil pressure indicator won\'t go out

Are you sure the wire to the sensor didnt get yanked off? If it isnt I would get a new sensor or check the oil pressure manually just incase. You can rent the gauge from autozone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The wire is fine. Checked it twice. Seems really odd that this would happen at an oil change. Oil and filter are changed religously (every 3000 miles).

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Do an oil pressure check to be absolutely sure. I had a car that lost its oil pressure cause the pick up tube of the oil pump came loose and was sucking air above the oil level. I don't know if thats even possible on your bike or not? The chances of your light malfunctioning because of an oil change is unbelieveable. Since you have already checked the wire then you better look deeper. Let us know as I too have a 02 1000..

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

I have also seen new kawasakis that come out of the crates and serviced [LT454 for one] that would not turn there oil lights off till you revved them kinda high. And then they where just fine. It was like the switch was stuck or they were having trouble suckiing up oil?? Just another weird thought..lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Checking with my local mechanic (Thanx to Dave at Southwest Suzuki) , he said that late model GSXR will sometimes get an air bubble near the oil filter so that the oil pump will only pump air. The fix is to loosen the oil filter to the point where oil dribbles out and start the engine, when oil spews out of the filter stop the engine tighten everything up clean eveything up and replace the lost oil. Did it to mine and the light went right out!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice! I have the same issue with my 16 gsx r750 after oil/filter change.
But after doing the above trick,I'm very happy the result.The oil pressure indicator has gone!
Thanks for the info.Cheers!🍺🍺🍺

1 - 8 of 8 Posts