Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
changed my oil and filter this weekend... so i added 2.6 quarts when i was done. i started the bike up and let it run for a few minutes and then shut it off to check the level. when i looked it looked like it was low... i guess i didn't wait long enough or something. so, i added the .4 quart i had left into it. then it filled to about 3/4 of the looking glass.

i went for a ride, and when i got back i checked the oil again and it now fillls up the looking glass completely. so i guess it's overfilled now.

my question is, should i drain the excess off? is having .4 quart too much bad for the engine? it would be messy to drain it off so i don't want to do it if i don't have to.

·
Registered
326 Posts
well once u are full its hard to tell how much over you really are. If it is too much then dependin on how u feel about it redo it. be more careful next time and dont rush.

·
Banned
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i know i put three quarts in it, and i chaged the filter... let it drain dry. so i'm assuming that there's 3 quarts in it plus whatever may have not drained out. i let it drain unitl nothing more would come out, so i am pertty sure it was empty.

i'll drain some out if i have to, even drain it all and put only 2.6 quarts back. i just don't want to deal with the mess if it isn't a big deal to overfill slightly. but if it does matter, the mess is no big deal.

you're right tho, i should have been more patient.:drool

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
It's probably fine. The allowable level is about from the top of the sight glass to the bottom, and some run it a bit full if they're racing, into wheelies a lot, etc.

If it's way over the top of the sight glass I'd drain some, but if it's right at the top I'd personally leave it.

·
Premium Member
18,689 Posts
i've seen dealers fill bikes over the entire glass window and they ran great for a long time. Not saying htat is right but manufacturers make it so that there is a very large area to fill it. they don't give the recommondations right up to "too low it will blow the engine" or "too much it will blow rings and mess stuff up". the marks you see are a very safe setting. don't worry at all, but you could drain a tad about. nothing to worry about though

·
Registered
519 Posts
To make yourself feel better, drain a little bit out. Here's my suggestion but you have to have some skill. Loosen the drain plug carefully, once it's almost out pay close attention then let it come off for like a second, oil will come out, then put it back in quickly. Do this until you have the desired amount in the site glass.

It's not that bad and if you drain too much, it's okay cause you can always add the desired amount.

BTW, don't feel bad about it, the same thing happened to me on my first oil change.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
You should be fine it has happened to a lot of people with the K6's including me.
I think I remember some dealeships charging for 4 bottles and giving back the customer a half bottle...LOL
Anyway, next time you know to ignore the glass until you have riden and just go with the 2.6

·
Banned
93 Posts
are you looking at the sight glass with the bike on the kick stand or standing straight up? What position should you judge by? So far i've looked through it by it standing straight up.

·
Banned
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sic06gix said:
are you looking at the sight glass with the bike on the kick stand or standing straight up? What position should you judge by? So far i've looked through it by it standing straight up.
straight up, just like it says in the manual...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I make sure mine is hot when checking the level (expansion). I like it to be full, as in maybe a lil bubble at the top of the sight window. High RPM will put a lot of oil in the top of the motor. So I don't take the chance on having the pump suck air when leaned over tached up. Also cold days are a real Biotch on oil. Even warm it can cause the oil to stay in the topend longer than a summer day. I think you are fine just a bit high. But almost a half a quart is a lot of oil. Instead of draining it you could just put a fresh filter on to suck in down some.

·
Banned
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
eviltwin-05 said:
I make sure mine is hot when checking the level (expansion). I like it to be full, as in maybe a lil bubble at the top of the sight window. High RPM will put a lot of oil in the top of the motor. So I don't take the chance on having the pump suck air when leaned over tached up. Also cold days are a real Biotch on oil. Even warm it can cause the oil to stay in the topend longer than a summer day. I think you are fine just a bit high. But almost a half a quart is a lot of oil. Instead of draining it you could just put a fresh filter on to suck in down some.
you know i was actually thinking about doing this too... that would effectively lower it .4 quart.

but then i have to buy another filter....

i think i may just drain it all and put 2.6 back.

good suggestion tho

·
Registered
519 Posts
eviltwin-05 said:
Instead of draining it you could just put a fresh filter on to suck in down some.
Quick question: when you do that way, won't it get real messy and a huge amount of oil come out?

·
Registered
519 Posts
eviltwin-05 said:
Not if the bike is off. The only oil would be in the filter and the passage to the filter won't have any oil pressure. The filter sits above the oil in the pan.
The reason I ask is cause i safety wired my oil filter wrong and now there's a slight leak from the filter, so i'm just gonna put on a new filter. I was planning on draining the oil, then refilling, but if you say it's cool to take it off when the bike is off, obviously that's much easier.

After i do this, i will still have to add a very small amount right?

·
Banned
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
edls said:
The reason I ask is cause i safety wired my oil filter wrong and now there's a slight leak from the filter, so i'm just gonna put on a new filter. I was planning on draining the oil, then refilling, but if you say it's cool to take it off when the bike is off, obviously that's much easier.

After i do this, i will still have to add a very small amount right?
the filter holds .4 quarts of oil... that is why the manual says add 2.6 quarts if you change the oil and filter, 2.2 if you only change the oil.

did you add a full 3 quarts to yours after draining it?

·
Registered
519 Posts
phreak260 said:
the filter holds .4 quarts of oil... that is why the manual says add 2.6 quarts if you change the oil and filter, 2.2 if you only change the oil.

did you add a full 3 quarts to yours after draining it?
good point!!! :D

I added like 3 quarts my first oil change a few months ago. Now i use less than 3 all the time.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
From one of the Team Emgo mechanics- fill it until you see oil in the glass COLD. Run it and check it again. I asked him SPECIFICALLY about this. He said if it's at the top of the glass big deal it won't hurt a thing. Pretty much like eviltwin said.

·
Registered
354 Posts
put a big pan under it...slowly loosen the bolt until it seeps out the amount you want then tighten it up. Clean the excess with a rag.

Seriously, it probably took you longer to power up your CPU and make this thread, than what it takes to drain a little oil.

·
Premium Member
18,689 Posts
you could also just undo the oil fill cap and then lay the bike on it's side :) j/k

drain a little or don't worry about it. if you can still see the top of the oil in the window i wouldn't lose too much sleep over it man...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.