Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who has a GSXR 600 that the oil light comes on but the oil level shows full. She said someone told her to check the sending unit wire. I was thinking about adding a little more oil maybe just to the top of the glass. What do you think?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK I checked the bike out today and can't find anything worng. It has oil and the oil level dropes when you start the engine. The oil light has been on for two weeks. I'm sure if it did not have oil pressure it would be dead by now. I stated it a couple of time and the last time the light went out and stayed out all the way home. Maybe a loose wire or bad sending unit? Anyone know where the sending unit is located on a 600. I know 1000's but know nothing about 600's.

·
Registered
38 Posts
OK I checked the bike out today and can't find anything worng. It has oil and the oil level dropes when you start the engine. The oil light has been on for two weeks. I'm sure if it did not have oil pressure it would be dead by now. I stated it a couple of time and the last time the light went out and stayed out all the way home. Maybe a loose wire or bad sending unit? Anyone know where the sending unit is located on a 600. I know 1000's but know nothing about 600's.
before assuming its electrical, have you verified that the oil pressure is ok? just because its not "dead" yet doesn't mean there not a problem with oil pressure. she very well could have caused internal damage to her engine. just because it can run, doesn't mean you should or that everythings ok. the minute that oil light came on she should have quit riding it until she diagnosed and resolved the problem. now along with her current possible oil pressure problem, its certainly possible shes caused damage/ excessive wear to the engine by running it the past two weeks.

just to throw this out there have you considered the oil pump? i mean it could certainly be failing.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
What year is the bike? Is it fuel injection or carb? On later models the oil light doubles as a fuel injection warning light, and "FI" will flash on the dash display when the light comes on...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts