Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my 12 & 14, I seem to have the same issue.

After a hard ride, or track session. When I come in and the bike is down at normal rpm, the oil light will flash and then stop.

I noticed it ttoday on the 14, but have noticed it on the 12 a few times.

Any ideas, suggestions? Anyone else have this issue?
I have the same problem changed the oil to castrol half synthetic (don't know the name right now), switched to Halvoline same thing. Bought full synthetic Castrol power one to try out.
But was wondering if you solved the problem. I even flashed the ecu to run 1200rpm it still comes on.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,376 Posts
Re: Oil light issue

Does the oil indicator come on too, or is it just the red light? What weight oil are you running and what filter?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Does the oil indicator come on too, or is it just the red light? What weight oil are you running and what filter?
The red light and oil indicator at idle, after a long run it goes on and off. I run 10w40 in the engine, cold engine no problem during driving also no problem the moment I stop flashing red light and oil indicator.
used K&N oil filter and oem both gave the same issue

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,580 Posts

rf600lifeon is now mentioning the icon but to pick up on what The Geek was saying, the red LED is a general fault indicator that comes on for a number of reasons. Low oil pressure will cause the red LED and the oil pressure icon to come on. You need to be sure that the icon is coming on (and state so here) or something completely unrelated to oil pressure could be happening.

It would be very helpful if you could rig up an actual pressure gauge at the point where the oil pressure switch is. A street tee would allow the switch to remain there. That would cut through the speculation about what is going on, in particular what the pressure is when the light comes on. There are some cheap and small 0-60 psi gauges that will do the job. If indeed the pressure is going low, I'd suggest that you look at other things like oil temperature or oil level.

·
13,376 Posts

the bike temp is 200F when it starts flickering
and outside temp is 30 degree
Does it seem to happen more frequently on warmer days? I'm thinking two possibilities. #1, the oil pressure regulator might be at fault. Hooking up a pressure gauge would help determine that. #2, the oil viscosity is too low. Consider switching to a 15W-40, or even 20W-50.

·
7,580 Posts

By the way, I've been trying to find the specs on the pressure switch, specifically it's trip pressure. Many are stamped P0.3, which I think means that it trips at .3 kgf/cm² (4.3 psi). But others are stamped P.15, which sounds like 2.1 psi (too low IMO). You might check yours to see what it says.

The newer looking examples with the unthreaded tips tend to be stamped P.15, while the older looking ones that are threaded to the end tend to be stamped P0.3. But not always. I also rarely see P.25. But I'm not certain that the marking indicates the trip pressure.

P.S. Unlike all other faults that are transmitted to the cluster from the ECM, the pressure switch signal goes straight to the cluster. The ECM has no knowledge of the pressure. On K7 up, the speed sensor goes to both the ECM and the cluster. But the C91 error comes from the ECM.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Does it seem to happen more frequently on warmer days? I'm thinking two possibilities. #1, the oil pressure regulator might be at fault. Hooking up a pressure gauge would help determine that. #2, the oil viscosity is too low. Consider switching to a 15W-40, or even 20W-50.
Yes it does happen on warm days, can a slack oil pump chain be a cause?
I found it to be weird got a buddy drives the same model no issue what so ever with his bike with the same oil grade
maybe mine has the symptoms of becoming a worn engine:frown2:
ill check the manual for the pressure and do a test
if the oil pressure regulator is at fault wouldn't it give a constant high or low pressure? just asking and can it be remove without removing the engine?

just to be curious, what is the meaning of only a red light.

·
13,376 Posts

The light is just a visual aid. It will always be accompanied by something. Typically, an FI trouble code or a low oil pressure indicator.

Usually if an oil pump fails, it will result in no oil pressure and the bike will rapidly overheat. They're gear driven along with the water pump. If the pressure regulator were leaking, then at low RPM/low flow conditions, the pressure might drop below normal. If you look at the oiling circuit, the pump/regulator are shown as a single unit. Then comes the filter and cooler, then onto the oil gallery. The pressure switch is in the main gallery. There's basically two trains of thought. Either the oil isn't getting into the circuit, or it's getting out too quickly. I've seen a lot of oil pressure problems caused by filters here.

Oddly enough, the manual doesn't state what the trigger pressure is for the switch. Only that the pressure at 3000 RPM should be 14-57psi. No mention what it should be at idle.

I guess you have some options. A new switch is really easy to replace and only costs $24. The o-rings for the pickup and regulator are cheap and the regulator itself is about $40. Gaskets and such to do the job would be another $45. Still if you throw parts at it, it may not solve the problem and you're left wondering why. Something like an oil jet falling out could possibly prevent the gallery from maintaining pressure. If it were me, I'd throw a new switch at it. Then go to a slightly thicker oil (I run Rotella 15W-40 in my L3). If it persists, then I'd order all the gaskets and o-rings and drop the pan. While the pan is off, you might find something that you shouldn't find. If everything looks good, but it still can't maintain oil pressure then it's time to dig into the engine.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts

How many miles on this engine? You the original owner? You may want to drop the pan and have a look at the strainer on the pick-up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I'll order the gaskets to drop the pan and the o ring for the strainer. oldgixxer got me thinking. I'm not the first owner, when i got the bike the clutch cover was crudely attached with silicone. could be that silicone got stuck in the strainer that would give a low pressure warning when oil thins out. i will be doing the pressure test first, keep you guys posted.
lets see first if i got the right attachment to fit the gauge.

Geek, you run 15w40 rotella does it comply wit the jaso ma coding. and isn't the 15w just a winter indication for low temp that would mean that the oil is thicker at lower temp but still in the ballpark at normal temp.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts

oldgixxer got me thinking. I'm not the first owner, when i got the bike the clutch cover was crudely attached with silicone. could be that silicone got stuck in the strainer.
Exactly.
Even more so since you said your not the original owner and there was RTV sealant used on the cover. Most people over-use silicone sealant,and it ends up scattered through the engine,clogging up the strainer. Seen it happen way too many times.

·
13,376 Posts

Rotella does comply (standard, not T6 synth). And in the lab, yes, at operating temperature there should be no difference between 10W-40 and 15W-40. I was just stating what I run in my bike(s). You can run a 20W50 if you want to crank it up.

·
7,580 Posts

Oldgixxer: "Most people over-use silicone sealant,and it ends up scattered through the engine,clogging up the strainer."

Good tip. I'll add it to the K5/K6 clutch mod pdf.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Just to post an update, I did drop the pan and the strainer was clean no obstruction. :smile:

Did a full Yoshimura exhaust swap and an ecu tune.:grin2:
Still had the light issue from time to time. :serious:

Shortened my service intervals. Was thinking maybe the oil was thinning to fast.

After a long drive the bike just stalled on me one night. Thought nothing :dunno of it because the check engine came on i just stopped and after a quick on and of the bike started right up like nothing happened.

Last Sunday I was going to do some twistiest, I was driving the bike at moderate speeds, to much traffic on the road, after clearing traffic i just drove like I usually do and the engine started braking. After slowing down i could hear the retched sound no one likes to hear.:crying
The crankshaft making a ticking noise that gets louder when you give some more gas.
So to summon things up i think the red light coming on when your engine is hot and you are at slow speeds could be an very good indication that your crankshaft clearance is out of spec or is this a :fact and if possible should be replaced before further damage can occur.
I already ordered another engine, cost almost the same as doing all the repairs.
Correct me if i'm wrong guys

·
7,580 Posts

No guarantee but measuring the pressure might have avoided (or at least minimized) what you're now facing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

No guarantee but measuring the pressure might have avoided (or at least minimized) what you're now facing.
yes, that could be the case. point noted.

next question

how wise is it to get the crank reground? will it holdup to hard driving?

already ordered a another engine to drop in, so playing around with this one is more likely to happen

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts

i would check the sump if it is clear change out the OP sensor.

but if the pump is clogged i would have a look at the rod bearings. if you dont it could be catastophic and it would cost way more when they completely go. and it wont be long.

jason

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts

How many miles on this engine? You the original owner? You may want to drop the pan and have a look at the strainer on the pick-up.
Yep, this would be a great idea to do!! I've seen people lose engines because the strainer in the pick-up is clogged from clutch-fiber material. Usually, the ones I've seen in the past that are severely clogged, they have a rod knocking too! When I hear people clutching wheelies all the time that have their bikes for years, I ask them "when is the last time you pulled your pan and checked the strainer?" They just look at me like what??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
6 Participants
JP1143
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing