Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went out and bought a 1999 GSX-R 750. This is my first bike, and man i love it.

I am however having a minor problem with it. When i first bought it the oil light was going on, and off periodically. So naturally i went to the store and bought some oil for it (yes it was the right kind lol). I filled it up, and it is perfect in terms of how much oil is in it now. and the light was still on for a day or two after that, but then it went off. about a week goes by and now the light is back on again. I took it to the motorcycle shop, and he was clueless saying that if i changed the oil everything should be fine, however he did say it may be the oil pressure switch. There is a bad gasket on there that i need to replace, and will as soon as the parts get in.

But does anyone have any ideas as to what this problem with the oil light could possibly be? Im a new rider, and no one in my family rides so im kinda taking this one on alone and would gladly accept any help

THANK YOU

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The oil light is actually an oil pressure light. There is little sensor thingy after the oil pump itself that senses adequate oil pressure and turns the light off after you start the bike. That's probably what he's talking about, because the light can really only be on if either the oil pressure switch is bad or the oil pump itself is bad.

If the oil pump itself was bad, you'd likely have spun a bearing or otherwise wrecked your engine by now with all this riding around ignoring the most important warning light on the bike.

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/2/Make/Suzuki/YearID/40/Year/1999/ModelID/6297/Model/GSX-R750/GroupID/258303/Group/OIL_PAN_OIL_PUMP_FUEL_PUMP_MODEL_W

Probably part number 24 in the diagram.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh, ok gotcha. thanks a lot that really helps. I mean i've been working on and riding Atv's my whole life, and thought i wouldnt have any trouboe working on one of these things, turns out i was wrong lol but thank you very much

1 - 4 of 4 Posts