Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2009 GSX-R 750
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I own a 2009 GSXR 750 and encountered an odd problem.

last time I was at the track a few weeks ago, the oil light came on and shot out a "FI" code. I was not able to have anyone run the code as nobody had a code reader. Once I turned the bike off and turned it back on, the oil light turned off, but this happened consistently after 3-4 laps for the last few sessions of the day.

When the light was on, the bike would have an odd throttle response, and the power became inconsistent and jumpy almost. I don't know a more technical way to describe how the bike was behaving, but it just became jumpy even when I wasn't changing the amount of throttle I was giving it. No shops are willing to even look at the bike unless the light is on, but it has not turned back on since that track day despite riding almost every day since.

Maybe it has something to do with it getting hotter at the track, or riding harder at the track than on the street, but the oil level is fine, and it wasn't overheating. Has anyone ever encountered a similar problem? The bike has 35,000 Miles and oil was changed within the last 1,000. Mostly stock other than a slip on and Rapid Bike auto tuner.

· You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
11,126 Posts
If by oil light you mean a red LED, that's actually a general fault indicator. It indicates low oil pressure only if it's accompanied by an oil can icon on the display (at least that's how it is on my K6). So something else is probably acting up. You didn't need a code reader, a paper clip will do in a pinch if you know what you're doing. However you ought to buy a dealer mode switch ($20) and keep it installed & ready to turn on. The associated fault code went away when you shut if off. However SDS can retrieve old codes. As a long shot, I wonder if it has something to do with the auto tuner. The code(s) tell all.

· Registered
2009 GSX-R 750
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea, I was reading the FI light forum earlier and figured that'd what i should do. I will bring a paperclip to the track next time and we'll see what happens. I was told that the bike doesn't store codes when I took it to a shop over here.

And yes, just the red LED like shown below
View attachment 578578

Thanks for your help

· Registered
2009 GSX-R 750
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If by oil light you mean a red LED, that's actually a general fault indicator. It indicates low oil pressure only if it's accompanied by an oil can icon on the display (at least that's how it is on my K6). So something else is probably acting up. You didn't need a code reader, a paper clip will do in a pinch if you know what you're doing. However you ought to buy a dealer mode switch ($20) and keep it installed & ready to turn on. The associated fault code went away when you shut if off. However SDS can retrieve old codes. As a long shot, I wonder if it has something to do with the auto tuner. The code(s) tell all.
Good idea, I was reading the FI light forum earlier and figured that'd what i should do. I will bring a paperclip to the track next time and we'll see what happens. I was told that the bike doesn't store codes when I took it to a shop over here.

Thanks for your help

· You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
11,126 Posts
You have to know what you're doing as there's a lead with 12 V and a ground. Connecting those two would not be good. A proper dealer mode switch avoids that.

"told that the bike doesn't store codes when I took it to a shop"
That's what a shop that doesn't have SDS says.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.