Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a '01 GSX-R 600 and I have a little problem. The engine has not been ran in about 7 months and the oil is pretty dirty. My friend owned the bike prior to me and it only has 4900 miles on it. He said he never had the oil light problem that I am having currently though.

After the engine warms up a bit, the oil light will flash at idle. The oil level is full so I know that isn't the problem... could the dirty oil cause the light to come on by any chance? Upon start-up when the engine is warm the bike wants to stall out when starting in 1st gear. If you stall out once, it will take 2 or 3 times to fire the bike back up without it dying on you. The engine temp is about 220-degree's when this happens. The fans are coming on by the way. A brand new battery was the last thing installed on this bike... and again the light ONLY flashes at idle.

I plan on changing the oil, coolant, spark plugs, and possibly the plug wires if you guys think that is necessary. If you have any comments reguarding the light flashing I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
FIRST Change the oil and filter. What is your bike idling at. It should be at 1200. If it still does it jack it up pull the oil pan and check for sediment in the pan and , oil pick and the screen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is about 1000-1200 rpm's. I adjusted the throttle a bit and it upped the idle a tad. I'm out of town right now... but as soon as I get home I will be changing the oil. I will inspect the pan and oil pick up as well.

Anyone else run into anything similar?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Does it have old gas in it along with the old other fluids?

Fresh fuel, oil and filter and plugs should get you running fine.

Have you taken the bike out and just ran it hard? Keep an eye on the light, its for more than the oil, think its also your temp light for coolant. Make sure you have antifreeze or water in it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have driven the bike for about 15-20 miles. I never took it above 58mph or above 4500rpm's. I'll make sure and change everything... I was not sure if the oil light was strictly for oil or for other fluids as well. Whenever the light did flash you could feel the engine run a little rough.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
First thing before you do anything make sure the oil pressure sender is connected right. It might be a loose wire making it trip like that. I have seen it happen before.

If the oil is dirty change it, with a new filter. If it still does it, I would put a manual oil pressuer guage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where is the oil pressure sending unit located at? On the block near the filter or down by the oil pan?

I had the oil light problem before I did this... but I thought I would mention it anyways. I removed the seats and started cleaning everything out with a tiny bit of brake parts cleaner. I was VERY meticulous to not get this in any sensors or the wire harness. After doing this I dried everything off well with an air nozzle. Just curious though... is the one sensor below the seat the map sensor? Just curious.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
That LED oil light also can indicate a problem with the FI. Since it sounds like it happens frequently, try putting your bike in dealer mode and see if any error codes pop up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fi is what again?

How do I put it in limp mode? I'm assuming adding a jumper to a service connector... I have no clue where it is though.

Where is the best place to buy a service manual from?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts