Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.. I dont know why I didnt think of this until now but I need an answer asap before I go out for a ride please!

With regards to the oil level indicator on the transmission. When is it supposed to be up to the Full mark??? When the bike is on its stand or when its straight up??? Right now when my bike (86-750) is on the stand I cant see any oil in the little glass circle, when I stand it straight up it says its full..?? Hows it supposed to work? My motor is real noisy I just though that maybe its because theres not enough oil in there! I cant remember what they taught me at the MSC as it was so long ago.

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,170 Posts
when you are holding the bike vertical like it is when you ride, thats when to look at the indicator. if its on its side stand, mine also doesnt show any oil, upright it and its just fine. So if its on full upright then youre good to go.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, what a stupid question it was.. oh well.

Went for a great ride today though!! Through lots of wooded areas with not much traffic.. The bike is noisy as fuck though! Anyone else notice this with the 86-750's?? Most of the time its like the motor is louder than the exhaust note!! Maybe its just the bike...

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
the old oil cooled motors are fairly noisy.....what kind of exhaust do you have, though? if it's a fairly loud exhaust, the motor shouldn't be louder.....

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yep..besides pretty loud cam chains...He might be hearing the cam chain tensioner doing a little cha-cha...might want to pull it and check it out..its a common thing on those..

·
Registered
571 Posts
if its too full it will put too much pressure in the crankcase and it can make all kinds of seels go out... if that happends you are :flipoff 'd

·
Mama Bear
17,836 Posts
Thanks guys, what a stupid question it was.. oh well.

Went for a great ride today though!! Through lots of wooded areas with not much traffic.. The bike is noisy as fuck though! Anyone else notice this with the 86-750's?? Most of the time its like the motor is louder than the exhaust note!! Maybe its just the bike...
It's not a stupid question! It's important! At least you ARE checking your oil level! stupid question is "how much do I need to rev the 1000 in first gear to do a wheelie" :lol

·
Registered
205 Posts
In the manual I believe it says to let it idle for about 5 minutes, let it sit for 3 then get the bike upright and check the level. That's how it is on the new bikes anyway.

·
Administrator
13,948 Posts
yes you can lock a motor up from adding to much oil , much like blowing air into a balloon till it pops , usually seals will blow , but not always ....

·
Banned
3,457 Posts
what you do is.. Warm the bike up to 170-180 degrees.. then let it cool off for 3 mins. then check the fluid when its upright... "NOT ON THE STAND".. let the bike be on the ground... its better to have 2 people.. Cause 1 person sit on the bike and hol dit upright, when the other person looks at the window and tell you if its right or not..

·
Banned
3,457 Posts
if they are too full dont they hydrolock?
NO.. Overfill oil will cause "POWER LOSS in top end range".. too much oil build up, will blowby to your airfilter box...

Too much oil will also FOUL out your sparkplugs.

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
I've never heard that one. Hydrolock usually happens from a lack of lubrication (or water in the motor..hence "hydro")
Hydrolock, is caused by fluid in the combustion chamber!
It is when fluid, usually fuel in this case, over flows the carbs and fills the cylinders. The piston comes up and tries to compress the fluid that has nowhere to go.
It locks the motor and will usually bend a rod or in extreme cases crack the head or even the block.
It is not caused by a lack of lubrication and is usually not caused by water in most motorcycling scenarios.

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
Hydrolock, is caused by fluid in the combustion chamber!
It is when fluid, usually fuel in this case, over flows the carbs and fills the cylinders. The piston comes up and tries to compress the fluid that has nowhere to go.
It locks the motor and will usually bend a rod or in extreme cases crack the head or even the block.
It is not caused by a lack of lubrication and is usually not caused by water in most motorcycling scenarios.

Unless you are ProLux & & you insist on riding your Gixxer into a river! :lol

Actually I can't lie, I did it once too! :banghead

1 - 19 of 19 Posts