Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 600 with about 1300 miles on her. I noticed last night that if I look at my K&N oil filter or even my drain plug I have a little bit of oil coming out of one and or both. The drain plug has the crush washer on it and is VERY tight and the K&N oil filter is about 1/3 of a turn past hand tight (I did put oil on the filter gasket so I don't think it's torn). When I saw this I went out today and got a new filter, crush washer, and oil and decided to change everything just to be safe. I did the change starte it up let it run for 10 minutes with no problems. I took her out for a 100mile ride come back and the same thing. Is this normal? I never had this with my Katana . . . . or well I never really checked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you actually read the directions, you are supposed to turn the oil filter 2 (yes, two) full turns after the gasket/o-ring makes contact with the engine case.

And make sure you clean the surfaces before going ahead and putting anything back on.

Ive used the old crush washer on my drain plug three times, and have had no problems.

Cataclysm

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did read the directions when I did my first oil change and did turn is 2 turns past when the gasket made first contact. . . . . it seemed very tight . . . . almost too tight. This time, today when I changed it because of the leak I didn't turn it as far because I thogught the 2 turns may have been too much and damaged the gasket on the last filter. And no, this was not the first time i've changed oil on a Suzuki. On my Katana I did all the service work and had the bike for 16k miles and never had a problem.

Anyways, now that I did a closer inspection it looks like the oil is coming form one of the bolts that holds the oil pan on. I gave it about 1/3 of a turn and am hoping that stops the leak. If not, the bike is only 1 month old so I will just take it to the dealer and have it fixed.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The oil filter needs to be tighter than that. I can't get a full 2 turns, but usually about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4. And the drain plug can't be VERY tight. If you attempt to get it that tight the threads will strip. Use a torque wrench on it and torque it to 16.5 - 17 ft lbs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
my 04 600 continues to leak oil from the water pump drive assembly. its been replaced once already...

oil drips down from the seal behind the water pump and collects around the oil drain plug. check your bike to make sure the oil isn't coming from the same place.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You need to follow the directions in the manual... It doesent matter if it 'seems' to tight. The manual says 2 turns. I have the 2 turns on my oil filter, it does SEEM very tight, but it is supposed to be. If you arent tightening it that much, its gonna leak oil. It will probably drip down to your oil pan too.

Just follow the manual!!!! Suzuki knows how to change the oil on a bike they built.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my 04 600 continues to leak oil from the water pump drive assembly. its been replaced once already...

oil drips down from the seal behind the water pump and collects around the oil drain plug. check your bike to make sure the oil isn't coming from the same place.
The water pump is located directly next to the oil filter correct? I took my bike apart again today and the oil is NOT coming from the filter or the drain plug. It looks like it is coming from the same area as yours is. What are they going to do about it on your bike, take it apart again?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I followed the directions in my manual when i change my oil so far i haven't had any problems. Yes i agree two turns is kinda tight but oh well if it jacks something up i will go to the dealer and bitch.

·
Squid
3,566 Posts
On my 1k if you tighten to spec the bastard won't come off.

I tore my last one to shit with my oil filter tongs getting it off, it turned at like 0.001 rpm by hand when i took it off. Perhaps that was cause the engine was hot though.

Shrug..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Well I gave in and took my bike to the shop and the oil is coming from teh water pump assembly as well. They are going to order new parts and hopefully get it replaced late next week. This SUCKS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts