Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first off my bike is a 99 GSXR 600. It now has 8400 miles. I am the second owner. Last season there were no leaks. This season the oil was changed, and there were no leaks at first at all. Well yesterday, I spend about 4-5 hours total on the bike. I do no do wheelies or stoppies, i just ride hard. The bike pretty much never stays under 11k rpm. on the streets. On the highway I drive normal, and ride around 6-8k rpm.

So I took off the left (shifter side) faring and started looking around. It seems like it is comming from somewhere up top, and leaks down to the shifter. What do you think this can be? Should I even attemp this, or just take it to a shop? And how much should a diagnosis run me?

On a second note, who knows a reputable shop in Brooklyn NY that will not shaft me, and do a good job,, quickly?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh, and the bike still has a normal oil level, normal pressure, does not burn oil or coolant, and still hauls ass. I drove around without the farings and found out that I olnly start leaking after riding hard. Normal driving doesn't seem to leak oil.

·
Registered
358 Posts
maybe when you got your oil changed they put too much in??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Then how would it come out to the left side? Is there an overflow somewhere that can cause this? Or did it blow a gasket. The shop that did the change, are a bunch of ass monkeys. I felt that they were a bunch of pricks right off the start. But i would not think that they could mess up something as simple as an oil change.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
this is possible gonna be a wasted of post, but ive seen bikes with sprayed oil down the side of the bodywork when they've been thrashed.

maybe an odd question, but does the leaking stuff smell at all odd?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, nothing odd smelling from the bike at all. Just two - four drops of oil on the floor after a hard ride.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I get oil in the airbox from the oil vent. Its possible that when you get the oil good and hot its venting out more oil than normal. The best thing to do would be to leave off the fairing, clean up all the oil, run it till it leaks some and find out exactly where it is coming from. were all shooting in the dark without knowing exactly where its coming from.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get oil in the airbox from the oil vent. Its possible that when you get the oil good and hot its venting out more oil than normal. The best thing to do would be to leave off the fairing, clean up all the oil, run it till it leaks some and find out exactly where it is coming from. were all shooting in the dark without knowing exactly where its coming from.
That is actually what I did. It runs from the top of the engine (not sure exactly, tank in the way) and alond the left rear side of the engine, down to the gear selector, behind the coolant tank. It drips to the ground from there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welp started taking apart the bike. Guess what, there is a shit load of oil in the airbox. What the hell is going on? It seems like it is leaking through one of the rubber grommets on the airbox. I guess since the bike is always on the kickstand, the oil collects to the left side, and then the air being pushed through the airbox pushes the oil onto the engine. Everything else is pretty much dry. Please suggest a sollution to this insane amount of oil.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Sounds like you may have overfilled the oil and when it got hot it went through the vent hose into the airbox. If it were me i would change the oil and make sure i have the correct amount in and check to make sure its not leaking.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool thanx. But the shop changed the oil for me last time. I kind of figured that they were dumbasses. Nice. I hope this helps. Thanks.

Like always, if anyone has anything else to chime in, don't hesitate. Thank you.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Cool thanx. But the shop changed the oil for me last time. I kind of figured that they were dumbasses. Nice. I hope this helps. Thanks.

Like always, if anyone has anything else to chime in, don't hesitate. Thank you.
I second what ironhead said, normal thing with overfilled oil - clean out the airbox and check the filter - if it's soaked, change it - unless it's a K&N, BMC or similar, then you can clean it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool, thanks. Yea the filter was not soaked, and it's K&N. So I should be set to go. I am going to re-assemble everything today. Thanks again to everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts