Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I go out riding and have gotten the bike hot, the oil light comes on from time to time. The oil level is higher than it should be. What is the problem. I recall this happening before and I threw a rod later. I am scared to ride at this point. Does anyone know why this is happening? I have '03 zuk1k, hotbodies pipe and stage III from Lee's performance.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
My two cents ...

1) get an oil pressure guage and read the gallery pressure at 3k rpms I think ... see if its in spec
2) If it is ... replace the pressure transducer, if not .. oh shit ...
3) do a compression test for fun ...
4) replace lower bearings most likely ...

thats my two uneducated cents ... take it for what its worth

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Before you do all that make sure the connection to the sender is good. It located near the oil pan has a hex nut on it with one wire.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
LOL, thats incorporated into step #2

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
does your engine make any strange knocking sounds?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
An oil pressure check is the only way to know for sure. A good 1000 engine has about 10 lbs at idle and 25 or so at 3000. This is with the oil hot and I mean hot.. I checked one the other day [03 1000] .It had 4 lbs at idle and 14 at 3000..Not good..BTW , the light is set to come on with about 2 or 3 lbs. He was complaining that his light would flicker at idle..He also does loooong wheelies..

·
Registered
396 Posts
Pair valve mod and how it was done is another posibilty. Do the other things suggested first. It's good info too always have.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Pair valve mod and how it was done is another posibilty. Do the other things suggested first. It's good info too always have.
+1 on pair mod being the cause, most 1000's i have seen with the pair mod have this issue at idle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts