Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam still working on th ignition problem. I unscrewed the cover were the igniton rotor is and oil came out. When I cranked it oil would just pour out. Is this normal. If not How do I repair it?

[ 05-01-2002, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Dontilgon ]

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yep normal.

What was the bike doing before it wouldn't start? Did it sit all winter? Did you just buy it? Find it in the woods? What led up to it not starting?

-Dave

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I traded a dirtbike for it and I was told it didnt start after he washed the bike, How true is that I dont know. But overall the bike's in great shape.New paint , powdered coated rims. It as a 907 motor in it. Ive seen the bike run and its great. IAm going to get it started and sell it for 2000. Any sugg?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Here's a few things to try.

1 Check the ground from the engine block to the battery. Clean the spot where it grounds to the engine and do not over torque the case bolt.

2 Have you tested for spark? Test for spark using each plug. I had 2 plugs go bad on me at one time. Oh hell replace the plugs anyway.

3 Set the petcock to prime with the tank over a bucket and see if fuel flows. if so set the petcock to prime when it is on the bike. If there is a filter in line check that it is flowing.

4 Pull out the black box located next to the battery tray disconnect it and check the terminals fo corrosion. If they have the green crap growing in there, clean them good with a wire brush be careful not to damage the plastic or metal. Then apply some dielectric grease to the terminals.

5 I dont know if your bike has this but under the battery tray near the rear shock there is a manual reset circuit breaker sort of a clear thing with a red dot. Push in on the red dot. If it clicks it may have been tripped.

Let me know if there are any other mods done to this bike.

Try this stuff and I'll see if anything else comes to mind.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried all. Iam receiving spark from coil 1 and four. But not from 2&3. I took the cover off were the rotor his and it seemed to spark for a while then stopped. Iam checking spark from the plug against the motor. Any way of checking if it is the ignition on the motor? Or checking the coil or black box?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Take the + and - of the 2/3 coil and put it on the 1/4 coil and see if you get spark. If you do then the 2/3 coil is probably shot if not then look into the black box as a possible problem.

Also check the wires on the 2/3 coil to make sure the end are screwed in tight and making contact.

To test the coil:

Using a digital multi meter set it to ohms unplug the + & - terminals (thin wires) and touch the test probes to the terminals on the coil the reading you get should be between 2.4 ohms and 3.2 ohms.

Then unplug the spark plugs leaving the plug wires plugged into the coil place a probe in each of the plug boots simultaneously and the reading you get should be between 30k ohms and 40k ohms.

To check the signal generator:

Trace the wires up to under the seat. Unplug the wires under the seat and measure the resistance across them on the sig. generator side. The resistance should be approx. 135 to 200 ohms

Maybe this will help

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts