Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeff has already seen the start of this post in the "general" area. Anyways, I have oil leaking from the center bolt on my cam chain tensioner on my 86 Gixxer 750. Jeff mentioned I could easily remove that bolt and replace the o-ring on it without worrying about the tension coming off my cam chain. I've never done this before and so read the section in my Haynes manual thoroughly. Here's where my additonal questions for Jeff or anyone else who would like to help come in:

I guess the part that worries me is where it says in my manual "Once you start to remove the tensioner bolts you must remove the tensioner all the way and reset it before tightening the bolts. The tensioner extends and locks in place, so if you loosen the bolts partway and retighten them, the tensioner or cam chain will be damaged."

The manual only shows the removal procedure for the whole tensioner assembly- not just the center bolt. I guess I'd feel better if I knew exactly how the whole thing worked as I had thought that center bolt was the one that adjusted the tension on the cam chain. Could you guys give me a brief lesson on how this device works?

------------------

Youth and talent are no match for age and treachery!

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeff, I received my gasket today and only now have I realized there is a problem. I have the right gasket- I verified it with the schematic on bikebandit- but I do not have the appropriate tensioner cap bolt for the gasket to fit on. I have a bolt with about a 14 mm head and a 14 mm nut on this bolt- the bolt is screwed into the center of the tensioner body up to where the nut is placed. I'll be taking the bolt out tomorrow but I'm thinking that a past owner rigged this up as a replacement to the tensioner cap bolt- why they did this is what worries me. Hopefully the spring will be behind the bolt, working properly and pushing on the rachet- then I'll just need to purchase the proper tensioner cap bolt. I just hope the bolt isn't pushing directly on the rachet with no spring in between and they were using this adjustable set-up to maintain cam chain tension. Have you ever heard of a set-up like this?

------------------

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It very well may be, I am not familiar with the manual ones and was not aware there were any available. If it is this how do I stop the oil leaking from around that 14 mm center bolt then? Is the spring that pushes on the rachet mechanism behind that bolt or do the manual ones push directly on the rachet itself?

------------------

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, thanks guys. I'll have a closer look tomorrow. I sure wish I had a instruction manual for this...sigh. I guess I can take the bolt all the way out and try to keep the lock nut in the same spot- that'll get me in the ballpark of the same setting when I put it back in.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Talisian (edited 04-01-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.