Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 25 years I have used repsol,suzuki and motul oils in my bikes. I saw some great deals at costco for Mobil 1 syncthetic oil..prices are very good that Im tempted to buy couple of cases.

Can you give me your opinion on using the mobil 1 on motorcycles?
I normally change the oil on my bikes every 1800-2400 miles cause of how I ride my bikes( kind of hard at times).

Gentlemen?...Your opinions.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Make sure it doesn't have friction modifiers, then go for it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
That car stuff will bugger your clutch.

The Delvic 15/40 and Mobil 1 15/50 red cap used to be popular bike oils although not specified for bikes. Formulas change so probably not good for wet clutches anymore.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
No, don't use that stuff.

·
Registered
349 Posts
used mobile 1 for 8k miles, two oil changes and I assume its good. I just this past weekend put rotella T6 in after numerous articles and forums posts. My bike has never felt so smooth, not engine wise but transmission. Shifting feels so butter compared to mobile 1, It's not in my head, shifting before felt notchy at times and hard to hit neutral whether from second or first.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The T6 rotella is notorious for shearing down in bikes. You might notice a notchy tranny sooner than with some oils. Not a big deal if you don't mind changing it more often.

·
Registered
349 Posts
shearing down? breaking down?

I've been using it in my TDI VW for years,changing it every 10k miles.
But it was your type of comments that kept me from trying it, for every negative one I'd read 3 or 4 positive ones

It's cheap enough I'll change it in 1500-2000 miles.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,859 Posts
The T6 rotella is notorious for shearing down in bikes. You might notice a notchy tranny sooner than with some oils. Not a big deal if you don't mind changing it more often.
You say notorious, but do you have any actual tests that show T6's shear stability? And I don't want to see any tests from the scumbag company that we call AMSoil.
Like any oil you should change it based on how you run the bike. If you're doing trackdays or very aggressive riding, you should be changing it more frequently, and you can use Blackstone Labs to verify what the oil is actually doing. I do about 3,000 miles on Rotella with normal riding, and I'd cut that number in half if I were to be more aggressive.

·
Registered
349 Posts
not arguing, but did you read the comments? bike was new, still in break in period and he waited a while to do an oil change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts