Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Biased Multi Level Marketing Dealer - take into co
382 Posts
Just because a lot of people are running them, does not mean they are not having unknown problems such as unfiltered oil recirculating.

A few PSI difference ? If the OEM engineers thought that beginning to open at 15 PSI instead of 8 PSI was not a problem, they would spec that.

It is based on pressure differential, not pump output.

Also, the media is too dense and may also cause restriction, again, causing unfiltered oil.

Ultimitely, It is your bike and you can gamble any way you want. Just remember one thing..... If you should have a problem, you will have NO Warranty from the OEM or Purolator.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
The point is trying to correct errors.

The other error is why would unfiltered oil be recirculating? Are you saying that Purolator engineered the bypass valve with the wrong pressure rating?

Or maybe motorcycle engines will block the filter sooner than a car.

Where will this pressure difference matter? At idle when the oil pressure is at its lowest.

What about race engines using 0W through to 10W oils where they are probably using OEM filters or similar.

·
382 Posts
Unfiltered oil recirculates when the bypass valve opens due to pressure differential.

Purolator engineered nothing wrong. The Pure one filter is not designed for a Powersports application

I don't know of any serious racer that runs an OEM filter and not sure where the OW or 10W oil comes into the picture about oil filters.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
Looks like I'll need to quote you Bob. You're not getting it.

You said, "Just because a lot of people are running them, does not mean they are not having unknown problems such as unfiltered oil recirculating."

I said, "The other error is why would unfiltered oil be recirculating? Are you saying that Purolator engineered the bypass valve with the wrong pressure rating?"

Why would that occur with the Purolator Pureone, the bypass valve opens at a greater pressure differential than OEM. They all do it anyway when the oil is real cold. So what, it has been working most of the time so there is a clean enviroment in the sump. Doesn't matter if it bypasses occasionally. The Pureone is less likely to bypass as that filter is designed to flow more oil for a vehicle (car) application.

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
The 0W, 5W and 10W oils are used in serious competition where they are trying to gain some extra horsepower.

A 0W oil is thinner than a 10W40 oil normally specified for a lot of Japanese motorcycles.

A lighter oil is thinner (less viscous to be more technical). Because it is thinner it will flow through the filter media with less resistance or pressure differential.

·
382 Posts
Looks like I'll need to quote you Bob. You're not getting it.

You said, "Just because a lot of people are running them, does not mean they are not having unknown problems such as unfiltered oil recirculating."

I said, "The other error is why would unfiltered oil be recirculating? Are you saying that Purolator engineered the bypass valve with the wrong pressure rating?"

Why would that occur with the Purolator Pureone, the bypass valve opens at a greater pressure differential than OEM. They all do it anyway when the oil is real cold. So what, it has been working most of the time so there is a clean enviroment in the sump. Doesn't matter if it bypasses occasionally. The Pureone is less likely to bypass as that filter is designed to flow more oil for a vehicle (car) application.
The Pure One is not designed for a Powersports application. Besides the bypass valve being set for a different application, the media is too dense which may cause oil pressure issues.

You can try to rationalize this any way you want but the fact is that the filters have been tested by Purolator and are not recommended for Powersports,

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
382 Posts
The 0W, 5W and 10W oils are used in serious competition where they are trying to gain some extra horsepower.

A 0W oil is thinner than a 10W40 oil normally specified for a lot of Japanese motorcycles.

A lighter oil is thinner (less viscous to be more technical). Because it is thinner it will flow through the filter media with less resistance or pressure differential.
The 0W 5W 10W you are referring to are not straight weight oils. The "W" stands for the Winter weights of the oils. If there is a "W" present, it is followed by -XX which is the viscosity of the oil at operating temp or 100 C.

A 0W-40 is approximately the same viscosity as a 10W-40 at operating temps. The actual viscosity would have to looked at on an oil by oil basis and cSt looked at.

I doubt that many full time racers would choose a Pure One as they are looking for reduced restriction to gain HP. As long as the class they are running in allows, some will run filters such as the Scott's as it filters at 35 micron and has no bypass valve. Not a good choice for street.

Such as with rece cars, some will use a stainless "pancake" screen or use a WIX Racing filter which is 60 micron to reduce restriction and gain HP. Again, an example of an Extremely poor choice for street use.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
Bob, you are not familiar with the 0W5 or 0W10 0W20 weight racing oils?

Who mentioned racing and Pureone filter in the same sentence? Think the name was Bob.

You got to move on from this beginners stuff. It's not good for your reputation as an AMSOIL dealer.

I am not trying to rationalise it, I am asking for an engineering reason why it is not suited. Higher pressure bypass valve may be one, but there are a number of other reasons that I mentioned which should mean that the filter would flow better than OEM.

·
382 Posts
Oils such as 0W5 are basically used for qualifying and then a higher viscosity oil is used for the race. They are using oils such as 0W-10 in some racing applications but as far as I know not in long races.

You are bringing into the conversation oils that are not used in street bike applications and the Pure One is NOT recommended for Motorcycle applications.

When it comes to racing, all bets are off and they are worried about one thing and one thing only. Winning at any cost.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Suzuki new oil filter is #16510-07J00, which replaced the #16510-03G00-X07.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
382 Posts
Suzuki new oil filter is #16510-07J00, which replaced the #16510-03G00-X07.

A: Is that the complete part # ?

B: Did it "replace" the other filter, or is it listed only for a newer bike ?

Right now, my sources are saying that the old part # works and the internal specs on the filter are the same.

I would like to check this out a bit further.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
That is the full part number and it replaced or "superceded" the other #

·
Registered
35 Posts
Idk if they still are, but awhile back the cheapest place i could find online was oneidasuzuki.com.

·
382 Posts
Thank You,

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
A gas tank for my bike was $750 through my dealer and i got it from them for $500

·
Registered
19 Posts
J

Also, the media is too dense and may also cause restriction, again, causing unfiltered oil.

Ultimitely, It is your bike and you can gamble any way you want. Just remember one thing..... If you should have a problem, you will have NO Warranty from the OEM or Purolator.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob
If it was too dense for motorcycles,it would also be "too dense for cars,now wouldn't it? It would be super hard to collect on a warranty claim for a filter. They would ask you to send it in,then they would start to sayit was the condition of your engine,the type of oil you used,etc,all so they can weasel out of paying 1000's for an engine.If it were that easy, you would hear of a lot of people doing claims.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts