Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I recently bought a used 2002 GSXR600. I am giving it an oil change and after a lot of fighting i finally got off the previous oil filter on there. it is a Purolator PL14612. I bought a KN-138 and it gets nowhere close to fitting. It is way too short. I have no idea what is going on right now but I am very frustrated. I looked up the PL14612 and it doesn't even fit a GSXR600, how did it get on there? And why wont a filter made for this bike not fit?

Thanks for any help

Attachments

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,092 Posts
If worst comes to worst the oil filter boss can be removed and a new one ordered from Suzuki. Not the first post you wanted to read though. :lol

Get an OEM Suzuki filter and try that first.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree, the previous owner must have force the wrong filter on the stem (possibly cross threading) or worse?
Gixxer's have used the same oil filter since a least the mid 90's.

I guess someone sold the previous owner the wrong part and he spun it on with a oil filter wrench without spinning it on by hand first to feel how the thread engagement was. He probably never noticed it was wrong the whole time as the wrench would have probably provided enough torsion for him not to feel something was wrong?

Good luck. 😞

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Here is some info that may help you notice the thread specs are different i addition to a few other specs

Part KN-138 Product Specifications
Product Style: Oil Filters
Anti Drain Back Valve: Yes
Bypass Valve: Yes
Filter Material: High Flow Premium Media
Gasket Material: Nitrile Rubber
Height: 3.031 in (77 mm)
Outside Diameter: 2.813 in (71 mm)
PSI Relief Valve: Yes
Removal Nut: Yes
Style: Canister
Thread Specification: M20 x 1
Removal Nut Size: 17 mm
Weight: 0.51 lb (0.23 kg)
Product Box Length: 3 in (76 mm)
Product Box Width: 3 in (76 mm)
Product Box Height: 3.25 in (83 mm)

Pure one filter
Anti-Drainback Valve: Yes
Filter Bypass Relief Valve: Yes
Filter Type/Category: Spin On
Gasket Inside Diameter: 2.255 in
Gasket Outside Diameter: 2.491 in
Height: 2.93 in
Maximum Burst Pressure: 250 PSI
Micron Rating: > 5 mc
Recommended Change Interval: Use OE Recommendation
Relief Valve Opening Pressure: 14-22 PSI
Spin On: Yes
Thread Size: M20X1.5

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for the help everyone. It looks like it did have a modded stem. I went ahead and picked up an L14612 and it went on perfectly. The bike is back up and running and so far so good.

Thanks again

·
Registered
35 Posts
Glad it got figured out...great call from the gentlemen that caught the nut on the boss. I didn't notice it at first.

This is a great forum I must say. Its nice to have positive responses to our queries.

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts