Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done my routine oil change on my bike, and afterwards have noticed what appears to be a "crack" on the side of the oil filter housing (about 1/4 inch line). I'm not too sure if this "crack" was there before, but also, I cannot tell if its just a "Casting" line.

I tightened my filter by wrench, about 1 1/2 turns after contact, with oil applied to the seal. Even if the filter is too tight, can it even be possible to crack the housing? I've never heard of that happening.

I've run the bike, and have not noticed any leaking.

If it is just a "Natural" crack, is it possible to just Aluminum weld it?

Sorry, no pics, but maybe later.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
No leaks, no worries. I've heard of people overtorquing the fitting and cracking even cast iron engine blocks but, no way the filter, you'd distort and pull out the filter threads before that would happen.

Ken7

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No leaks, no worries. I've heard of people overtorquing the fitting and cracking even cast iron engine blocks but, no way the filter, you'd distort and pull out the filter threads before that would happen.

Ken7

Ok, my only concern was if it spreads to the flat edge where the filter seal tightens on, but then again, it could be a cast line only, or it's been there all the time, and I've never noticed it before.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
If you can't get a real look at it, hit the area with a light scuff of sandpaper. A parting line will show up in relief after that, a crack will not.

Ken7

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE!! UPDATE!!

Ok, this is what I noticed. I looked at the other side of the filter housing, and noticed another line. If you can visualize a circle, the lines would be symetrical on each side angling upwards.

So now I'm thinking that these are casting marks.

Can anyone with a K5/K6 verify this for me? You can notice the lines by looking through the sides of fairings. Look near the bottom of oil filter housing. If the lines are there, they should be on an angle on either side.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
on my k6 the lower crankshaft housing has signs of what appears to be cracks idk if this is all caused by casting. or?

·
Registered
4 Posts
UPDATE!! UPDATE!!

Ok, this is what I noticed. I looked at the other side of the filter housing, and noticed another line. If you can visualize a circle, the lines would be symetrical on each side angling upwards.

So now I'm thinking that these are casting marks.

Can anyone with a K5/K6 verify this for me? You can notice the lines by looking through the sides of fairings. Look near the bottom of oil filter housing. If the lines are there, they should be on an angle on either side.

Thanks

Did you ever figure out if it was a crack or casting line? Just did my first oil change on a new to me k8 and I feel like I see a crack on both sides of the filter just as your explaining and can see from the fairing holes as well. I've ran the bike to 185 degrees with no leaks. Just concerned. Any help or information would be helpful. Thanks for any reply,!
[/QUOTE]

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,616 Posts
Look for pic of crankcases on ebay like this:

Highly likely that it's a casting mark. Note the thickness of the aluminum there and here:

That makes it unlikely to crack unless there's some extreme trauma.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts