Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAN YOU GUYS PLEASEEEEE PLEASEEE PLEASEEE STOP PUTTING YOU DAMN OIL DRAIN NUT ON SO TIGHT IT REALLY DOESNT NEED TO BE SO TIGHT THAT IT TAKES DAYS TO HAVE THE WILL POWER TO KEEP TRYING WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT TO TAKE OFF 3RD BIKE IVE BOUGHT WHERE I CANT EVEN DO A SIMPLE OIL CHANGE WHEN NEEDED BECAUSE YOU PEOPLE TIGHT THAT NUT SO TIGHT IT WONT COME OFF WITHOUT STRIPPING HEAD AND THEN VICE GRIPS

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
WARM IT UP. Most people do an oil change on a warm engine. When it cools down it gets tighter.
I use a heat / spot light to warm everything up and a heat gun.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
How can it not come off with the correct size socket or wrench on there? And then it comes off with vice grips? Maybe this guy is using standard size tools?

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
reality is you should use a new crush washer each time, Ronayers has them for like a buck a piece, get 10 or 20 of them.. they are the good bronze or copper crush washers, then you can use the proper torque spec each oil change, AFTER you unsure your level is nutted.. under torque till you shake it and verify level is accurate a few drips wont hurt anything, tape a paper towel or cloth down there if you're worried about getting oil on the road... lotta bikes you can stuff a shop rag between the lower plastic and plug, stays..

once you have confirmed everything is perfect, torque to spec, wipe down, done... also note that crush washers are directional on many applications...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How can it not come off with the correct size socket or wrench on there? And then it comes off with vice grips? Maybe this guy is using standard size tools?
Definitely get real intimate with any bike I’m working on should surely know what tools to use

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,756 Posts
I don't understand what the removal issue is. Unless you're using the wrong size socket, the plug will strip in the pan if tightened too much. That's not a rare problem here. So it shouldn't be possible to tighten the plug so much that it won't come out. I dealt with the issue here (pics were on Tinypic and are now gone). But the low installation torque, barely more than hand tight, requires that you use safety wire and I'm suspicious that someone who can't get the socket size right will tend to skip the safety wire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't understand what the removal issue is. Unless you're using the wrong size socket, the plug will strip in the pan if tightened too much. That's not a rare problem here. So it shouldn't be possible to tighten the plug so much that it won't come out. I dealt with the issue here (pics were on Tinypic and are now gone). But the low installation torque, barely more than hand tight, requires that you use safety wire and I'm suspicious that someone who can't get the socket size right will tend to skip the safety wire.
I got it off never had an issue other than not being able to take it off with correct socket after bikes warm all the above easily.... People who cannot afford to pay for diagrams and manuals go crazy tightening certain bolts that don’t need it i was just letting people know you should probably know the exact torque for shit if ur not a seasoned mechanic

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,756 Posts
"People who cannot afford to pay for diagrams and manuals..."
Most are available for free download.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I don’t understand, the easiest way would be to use the correct socket. How is vice grips easier??? Vice grips would be the go to tool if that was the only tool you have.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Lots of people over torque drain plugs even mechanics. There's always someone coming in here crying about stripped threads. Same thing with too tight chains.

·
Super Moderator
17,345 Posts
CAN YOU GUYS PLEASEEEEE PLEASEEE PLEASEEE STOP PUTTING YOU DAMN OIL DRAIN NUT ON SO TIGHT IT REALLY DOESNT NEED TO BE SO TIGHT THAT IT TAKES DAYS TO HAVE THE WILL POWER TO KEEP TRYING WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT TO TAKE OFF 3RD BIKE IVE BOUGHT WHERE I CANT EVEN DO A SIMPLE OIL CHANGE WHEN NEEDED BECAUSE YOU PEOPLE TIGHT THAT NUT SO TIGHT IT WONT COME OFF WITHOUT STRIPPING HEAD AND THEN VICE GRIPS
"oil drain nut"?
:rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts