Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am bulding a pretty mean bike. The motor is professionally built 1992 1260cc, crank is lightened and balanced, rods and crank hardened, all new guts in block, cam, etc.

I just need to know if this oil cooler might work? I love the look! Oh and is it overkill?

Canton Link

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for the reply.

I think I can fit 3" as the bike has no plastic at all.

I should mention that I really need a good cooler. If the one mentioned above is not up to par, does anyone have a good recommendation for a better oil cooler?

PS. the gauge idea is a good one!
If this thing cooks

[ 07-25-2002, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Gemini ]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Originally posted by Gemini:
Thanks for the reply.

I think I can fit 3" as the bike has no plastic at all.

I should mention that I really need a good cooler. If the one mentioned above is not up to par, does anyone have a good recommendation for a better oil cooler?

PS. the gauge idea is a good one!
If this thing cooks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've never heard of the cooler that you posted, but I've used Earl's coolers and lines and they are good stuff. I remember someone complained about Earl's cooler splitting, but I've never had that problem. Since your bike has no plastics you should be able to fit an extra-wide, 34 row Earl's cooler.

An auxiliary cylinder head cooler is also a good idea, and I just happen to have one for sale...

Yancy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much for the aux cooler?

·
Registered
77 Posts
If there is room on the bike to mount this 3" thick cooler go ahead and do it. You should mount an oil temperature gauge and keep an eye on the temperature, though. Also, you might want to keep the following in mind.

1. If at all possible, mount an oil thermostat.
2. Do not rev the engine nor ride off until the oil temperature is over 50 degree C.
3. Do not ride hard until the oil temperature is over 80 degree C.
4. If the oil temperature is over 130 degree C slow down and let the oil cool.

Basically you want to keep the oil temperature between 80 to 120 degree C. An oil thermostat will prevent over cooling the oil, but if you are constantly running hot you need a bigger cooler.

Yancy

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
I'm kinda surprised that Canton would use that type of design in an oil cooler. They make some shit hot stock car stuff, but that cooler design just plain sucks.

Your flow and oil pressure drop on every one of those external bends you see in the picture. I wonder if that cooler is designed with 'claimer' racing in mind? Seriously, stock car racing manufacturers build and sell lower end shit that works but won't make you cry should someone claim your race car for the preset $$ limit.

With the Earl's or Hel designed coolers, all of the cooling plates run parallel rather than the series flow you see here - bugger all flow/pressure drop and significantly better cooling.

I'd stay clear of the design.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I'm with bcjohn... that cooler isn't the way to go

I'm running an H-E-L on my 12.5+:1CR 1216 Bandit; no troubles with heat management... here's a link to their site:

http://www.h-e-l.co.uk/helproductsoilcoolers.htm

...got mine from a distributor in upstate (Peru) New York called United Sales Associates... tell Big Mike that Ed Henderson sent ya... his website is offline at the moment but you can reach him at [email protected] or at [email protected].

Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts